addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Hungarian Meetup Group Message Board › Begining my quest to learn Hungarian

Begining my quest to learn Hungarian

Tina Marie Nagy F.
user 59108212
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
Hello, A nevem Tina Nagy Free. Köszönöm, hogy elfogadta nekem tagjaként. Alig várom, hogy az első találkozót. Minden javaslatot egy honlapon, ahol tudok kezdeni megtanulni a magyar nyelvet? Én ezt a gépelés a fordító.

Hello, My name is Tina Nagy Free. Thank you for accepting me as a member. I look forward to my first meeting. Any suggestions on a website where I can begin learning the Hungarian language? I am typing this using translator.smile
Elizabeth Szabo V.
ElizabethVos
Evansville, IN
Post #: 4
Tina,

Hungarian is a difficult language but if you are determined you can do it. We have found a combination of phrase books, dictionaries, private tutors, music, labeling objects in your home, Hungarian language camp and the free language learning resources online like

www.byki.com
www.livemocha.com

all add up to give you a lot of opportunity to build your vocabulary. We were able to visit Hungary in May with our kids and meet a lot of relatives so now they are more motivated to keep learning and visit again.

If you scroll down the list of sponsors you will see Magyar Marketing--that is our family business. We do offer a wide variety of Hungarian things including language learning resources. We are fortunate to hear Hungarian every day because of the business. We also try to incorporate Hungarian in our home though we are not at the level where it is all Hungarian all the time...

Private message me if you have any questions--I do have another fun resource I would share with you--also free. It is on our Facebook Page.

Minden jót! Wishing you all the best!
Liz
Tina Marie Nagy F.
user 59108212
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 2
Liz,

Thank you so much! I will contact you this evening. I must go to work now. I am so excited :)

Greatful for the information,
Tina
Tina Marie Nagy F.
user 59108212
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
Liz,

I checked out your website. It is very impressive. I am going to try to add your company on my facebook page. I do not know how to send a private message on here but I will get it figured out soon enough tongue I did sign up for your news letter. I plan to shop with you soon. Thanks again for your help and wealth of information.

Blessings,
Tina
Anne L.
alynch33
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 114
Hi Tina,

If you click the envelope next to someone's profile you can send them a private message. I also have a list of Atlanta area members that are interested in teaching and/or translating that I can send to you.

Anne
lilli
user 5606177
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
Hi Tina,

Welcome, I just got a message from my daughter that Rosetta Stone, now offers Hungarian. I haven't had the chance to research it on how to get and how much it costs, but I will soon. Good Luck!

Lilli (Agnes)
Ron F.
user 8553425
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 40
Hello, My name is Tina Nagy Free. Thank you for accepting me as a member. I look forward to my first meeting. Any suggestions on a website where I can begin learning the Hungarian language? I am typing this using translator.smile

Welcome to the group, Tina. Congratulations on your graduation & good luck with your masters work at UGA. My late Austrian aunt would vacation in the Greek islands for many summers.

I am not a Hungarian speaker and so sometimes use automatic translation tools, too. I write about three of them, including those that speak out loud, in a posting here­. No one took up my offer to test Ortsbo, and I am rather preoccupied with other stuff these days.

In years past, people would use this group to offer Hungarian lessons, such as in the postings by Nanda Dyssou here­ and here­. And Gizella Nyquist wrote about her own easy Hungarian books aimed mainly at children here­.

You should also be aware that international communications of all types are today practically free, making it possible to interact at length with people in Hungary itself. If interested, see my posting here­.

Are you curious where in Hungary (and in the rest of the world) you find the most people surnamed Nagy? And how many of them exist? Then look at my posting here­.

You can learn a great deal about both contemporary issues in Hungary and traditional Hungarian culture by watching online Germany's Deutche Welle ENGLISH-language program produced in Brussels called European Journal (cf. http://www.dw-world.d...­ ). It features stories from all over Europe, but you can search for those from Hungary and about ethnic Hungarians living in neighbor states. Just query DW's English-language YouTube channel by clicking this link.

Examples of EJ segments about Hungary include this report on "Buddhapest" (sic):
http://www.youtube.co...­
This one about why many residents of famous Tokaj say that "man does not leave by wine alone": http://www.youtube.co...­
This one about European Capital of Culture Pécs:
http://www.youtube.co...­
And this one suggesting that Seneca was right when he asked "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?":
http://www.youtube.co...­ .

I am especially interested in history and it is this which brought me to membership in our group here. You can explore the history of Hungary and Hungarian-Americans by reviewing the resources I describe in multiple postings I make starting here­. I had thought my understanding of Hungarian history was pretty good - until I read the books I cite and discovered the extremely complex multicultural heritage of the old Hungarian Kingdom. And since you live in Georgia, you will might well be interested in the thread focused on Hungarian history in Georgia here­.

Finally, do not forget all sorts of wonderful Hungarian food! Today I added to a thread on Dobos Torta here­. Nagy Maria's website is no longer up, but she is still in the pastry business and you can contact her through our group. She supplied traditional vanilla kifli cookies for the group Christmas party the year before you joined us.

I hope you will enjoy our group!

Ron