addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Hungarian Meetup Group Message Board › Re: Dobos Torta

Re: Dobos Torta

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone.
I am writing to ask everyone if they know where we can purchase a Dobos Torta cake, here in GA, for my father-in-law. We went to order one from a company in California (called Otto's Hungarian Import Store & Deli) , but they wanted $80.00 to mail it to Florida. *CRAZY!*shock

Anyways, my father-in-law is from Budapest and we thought that would be a great present for him for Christmas.

Sorry I can't translate this into Hungarian. I haven't learned that yet. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.

Thank you in advance,
Michelle Helmeczy
Anne L.
alynch33
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 62
You can order Dobos Torta from Nagy Maria. Here is her website:
http://www.obudabymar...­

I hope you can come to one of our meetings/parties soon! Anne
A former member
Post #: 27
My wife made a Dobos for my daughter'sbirthday party and she would share it with you.
Pls. call 706 781-4310
Thanks, Lajos Merry Christmas !
Ron F.
user 8553425
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 38

Dobos Torta, shown above, is one of my favorite Brooklyn childhood memories. But we called it Seven Layer Cake and bought it from the famous German bakery chain called Ebinger's, which sadly shuttered its door four decades ago now. It is fondly remembered in a 1991 New York Times article here.

Ebinger's was best known for their blackout cake, shown above (eaten directly from its distinct signature light-green box) during 1958 within the film The Lords of Flatbush (1974). A tribute site here quotes the 4 September 1945 issue of the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune. The paper's In Hollywood column by Erskine Johnson reported on pg. 8, col. 4:

• Before leaving New York, Carl Post met [eventual Academy Award Best Actress winner] Susan Hayward and asked her if there was anything he could do for her in the big city. "Yes," said Susan, mouth watering, "bring back a chocolate layer cake from Ebinger's Bakery in [her native] Brooklyn." Post brought the cake and started back to Hollywood by plane. But the temptation was too great. He ate the last piece over Salt Lake City.

Hayward, shown above, is buried in the Carrollton, GA graveyard of the Roman Catholic church that succeeded the Nitra and Budapest (St. Joseph's) churches which had once served the Hungarian colonists a short ride away in Haralson County.

Hayward had another indirect connection with Hungarians. The Mongol invasion of the early 1240's devastated Europe, not the least so the Kingdom of Hungary. It was orchestrated by grandsons of Genghis Khan, whose erotic interest the actress played in The Conqueror. This film, released the year of the Hungarian Uprising (early during the Cold War), was extensively shot very near the time and place of a heavily-used above-ground US nuclear testing facility. Many believe the premature death from cancer of so very much of the movie's cast and crew (including Hayward at age 57) was a sad consequence.

N.B. position and orientation
of The Duke's "weapon" ;-)

Ending on a much happier note, I would be surprised if Susan Hayward had not liked Ebinger's Dobos Torta, too!!!