addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Pakistan Autism Meetup Group Message Board › 2nd South Asian Conference for Autism, Delhi-India 15-16 Jan 08

2nd South Asian Conference for Autism, Delhi-India 15-16 Jan 08

A former member
Post #: 285
Hello everyone

I was invited to th above conference by Action for Autism in Delhi, India. I spoke on "unconventional strategies on living with Asperger's Syndrome" and Mrs Rukhsana Shah from Lahore spoke on autism "Awareness in Pakistan". Both our speeches at the conference have been uploaded to Youtube.

Speech given by Asperger Savant Qazi Fazli Azeem (of Karachi, Pakistan) at the 2nd South Asian Conference on Autism, Delhi, India on 16 Jan 2008. Part1 and Part2

Speech given by Rukhsana Shah, founder of RAMAQ NGO of Lahore, Pakistan, at the 2nd South Asian Conference on Autism, Delhi, India on 16 Jan 2008. Part1 and Part2

My speech as seen on youtube is not complete, about 2 minutes of the end are missing due to a camera problem, however I will get the full video in a months time and will upload it. The best part was the Q&A session at the end of the speech, people there were happy that i was there as a representative of South Asia, there were 2 other Aspergers from India, and one from America, Dr Stephen Shore of Autism Society of America.

Photos have been added by Christopher Flint's ActionAutism team here:

Day 1 of Conference

Day 2 of Conference

Workshop Day 1

Workshop Day 2

Visit to AFA School after the workshop

I can be seen in some photos.

The photos that I took can be seen here:

Inaugural ceremony of the AFA South Asian Conference. Seen here are merry Barua, guests, Anand Sharma of the MOS External Affairs.

I am seen sitting next to Dr Maroof who many of you have met.

The delegates and speakers from Bangladesh.

with Dr Stephen Shore, an Asperger like me. An inspirational person, I learned a lot from his presentations.

With my Asperger friends at the AFA.

Mr Adma Feinstien of Awares.org and the Looking Up Autism magazine. I had emailed him in November 2006, he remembered my email.

The banner of the 2-day TEACCH workshop I attended after the conference.

Some of the things we made after the TEACCH workshop for a given child.

Christopher Flint and his team who taught me and 68 other people about the TEACCH methods.

This is Merry Barua, Director of AFA, seen in a recent newspaper clipping.

Mr Usman was here on vacation.

Qazi Fazli Azeem
www.fazliazeem.com
A former member
Post #: 286
After the conference ended, I was interviewed by NDTV (New Delhi Television of India for the Daily News)
and by Adam Fienstien for his Looking Up Autism Newsletter of england, and by Christopher Flint and his team
from Chicago for their documentary of autism in the subcontinent.

Qazi Fazli Azeem
A former member
Post #: 126
It's heartening to see Mr.Usman Peerzada at the conference and it seems like he attended it. It would be great if he & his brothers could raise autism awareness through puppet theatre or their yearly sufi festival.

Azeem, if anybody can, I am sure you can find him an autistic mystic.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,

I was at that 2nd South Asian Conference for Autism in Delhi-India and had a great time meeting Azeem and many others. I presented on finding Successful employment for people with autism as well as autism and sexuality. I hope to meet more of you some day.
A former member
Post #: 287
On behalf of the Pakistan Autism Meetup Group, I welcome you to the online forum. It was a great learning experience to see your presentations. The first Autism conference in south asia was in Pakistan in 2004, organized by Rukhsana Shah. This current one was the second Autism Conference in january 2008, the delegates form Bangladesh said they will try and have the next one (2009) in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I look forward to greater developments, cooperation and research this year in 2008, and hope to meet you again.

Qazi Fazli Azeem
www.fazliazeem.com
A former member
Post #: 288
More photos have been added by Christopher Flint's ActionAutism team here:

Day 1 of Conference

Day 2 of Conference

Workshop Day 1

Workshop Day 2

Visit to AFA School after the workshop

I can be seen in some photos. They are saying I am the first Asperger they have trained in the TEACCH methods.

By the way, Roohi Maroof can be seen on the 8th photo here

Qazi Fazli Azeem
Saira S.
Saira
Group Organizer
Karachi, PK
Post #: 433
Azeem you are really doing a great job and we are all very proud of you.I wish you lots of more success and positive recognition in years to come.We hope we can all also get to share some of the knowledge that you have gaine d through this new experience of yours.

And Mr Stefen its great to have you as a member.Lot of work has to be done in Pakistan in terms of spreading awareness and providing the right therapies and teaching techniques with respect to autism.But above all parents here need hope an dmotivation that their children are capable of achievements in life.I think people like you are great examples and so many parents and kids can look upto you.

Thanks again for being part of our group.

Saira
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Saira,

It's my honor to be a part of this group. Together we will accomplish much more than we could do separately.

Best wishes,
Stephen
Stephen Shore's Website
A former member
Post #: 338
You can read Stephen's new interview here.

Qazi Fazli Azeem