addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Pakistan Autism Meetup Group Message Board › April 2, 2014 - World Autism Day..

April 2, 2014 - World Autism Day..

Malik
user 11620477
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 22
AoA Everybody!

Any plan for event/ meetup in Isb/ Rwp on autism day i.e. April 2, 2014 - World Autism Day..I hope as always Maj. Umair sb would plan some event.. i request all of u to support him in this regard, i m available for any kind of favor..
I hope other cities would plan events too...

Regards, Nasir
Umair Bin T.
user 10759691
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 42
Assalam-O-Alaikum
Nasir Sb thanks for the support. As every year we will definitely arrange some meet up or activity on WAAD (Even month of April). In shaa Allah. Details of the program will be intimated later. Suggestions and participation in organization of the event from other members are appreciated in anticipation.
With a hope and request to all concerned to spare some time from their routine for these kids and noble cause.
Jazak Allah.
Allah Hafiz.
Maj (R) Umair Bin Tahir,
Director STL/ ARC,
Isb/ Rwp.
Cell: 03005131154.
Umair Bin T.
user 10759691
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 43
Dear Parents
Assalam-O-Alaikum,
Meet up on World Autism Awareness Day in Islamabad.
To participate in the event "Step To Learn / Autism Resource Centre" is organizing a meet up for the parents of autistic children. Details of the event are as follow:
Date : Saturday, 5th April 2014.
Venue : Conference room, Community Centre G-9/2, Ibn-e-Sina Road, Islamabad.
Time : 10 am - 1 pm.
Participants: Professionals and Parents.
Topics of Discussion :
 Introduction to “Step To Learn”
 Introduction to “Autism Spectrum Disorder”
 How to Manage and structure - daily routine of an autistic child.
 Success stories of Autistic children
 Discussion - Parents concerns and suggestions
 Tea
All the parents of Autistic Children are requested to join in this event and share their concerns.
Allah Hafiz.
Umair.

Umair Bin T.
user 10759691
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 44
Dear Members
Assalam-O-Alaikum
It is to update you that in continuation of World Autism Awareness Day, STL organized a meet up for the parents and professionals today from 1030 am to 2 pm in Islamabad. I am thankful to all who joined in this noble cause. In today's session the main discussion was to step ahead of Awareness and Diagnosis. Parents contributed their experiences and commented on concerns shown by other parents present in the meet up.
STL encouraged parents participation in the development of these kids and emphasized their role.
Over all attendance of parents was not encouraging. I request all the concerned parents to get themselves educated and strengthen the parents support group, it ultimately helps many, in dealing their issues. We do spare time in our routine for many such activities and the issue of a child with autism should also be our priority.
I will request the parents who joined the session must give their views/ comments and suggestions.
Thanks.
Umair.
Umair Bin T.
user 10759691
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 46
A.O.A
Awareness efforts must be continued throughout the month of April, through every possible way. All new members and parents can find good feedback and tips for many of their issues in previous threads of this forum.
All the best.
Allah Hafiz.
Umair.

Malik
user 11620477
Islamabad, PK
Post #: 23
Participants: Professionals and Parents.
Topics of Discussion :
AoA All!

Sorry for the late reply but i think its never too late to appreciate efforts of the great show put up by the STL Staff.. It would not have been possible if the dedicated efforts were not there.. Thanks all of you.. It was a huge success..

According to me the good things happened during the day were presentations given by the STL staff and as always Major sb.. comments on How to Manage and structure - daily routine of an autistic child?, Success stories of Autistic children were shared and most importantly during the detailed discussions Parents concerns and suggestions were shared too.. In Islamabad you are our main person Maj. sb please keep working as we need your support always..there will be parents/ professionals coming and going but you should not stop doing your work as we too Insha'Allah i will further request other parents/ professionals attended that day to give your feedback.. bcoz we need to support STL in their efforts and we must appreciate as well..

As i shared during that day too that we need to help each other as much as we can the rest should be left on Allah.. One suggestion i could give over here is that many parents/ professionals keep on spreading negativity about "Autism Setup/ Schools and Professionals" .. But i think its to spread positivity e.g. if your son is not improving from one place goto another but plz do't blame them bocz must be somebody will be getting benefit from that place.. Also, i can relate it with a doctor u r not satisfied u go to another and go on and on until u get your required result.. So, for our children we should decided what to do? where to go? i mean we should lead not the professional or school.. I hope you people agree.. Anyways do share your comments if you do't agree.. Keep getting input from everywhere but do decide on your own..

In future i hope more professionals would attend too as i feel they should come forward and put their share in this effort (ideally on volunteer basis)..

Thanks again STL Team, Nasir
Qazi Fazli A.
QaziFazliAzeem
Boston, MA
Post #: 178
Autism Awareness Article: Early detection has positive impact on children with autism
Posted on 2014-04-20 06:09:18

Karachi (PPI): Secretary Health Sindh Iqbal Hussain Durrani on Saturday said that Autistic children need special attention, as early detection and treatment will result in cure at early stage.
He expressed these views while addressing an awareness seminar titled Autism A Silent Cry for help in Pakistan, organized by Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS) at Arag Auditorium of Dow Medical College. The seminar was aimed at to raise awareness about autism among the general practitioners and public.
Durrani stressed the need to create awareness about autism among the masses. He said that the government was committed to cause of raising awareness of autism and praised the efforts of DUHS for this cause. He also assured audience of his full support and cooperation in this regard. Vice Chancellor, DUHS Prof Masood Hameed Khan informed that Dow University keeping in view the severity of the disease established a Autism Unit at its Institute of Physical Medical and Rehabilitation Centre, DUHS which is providing treatment to the Autistic Children. He further said that Dow has always strived to address health issues of community, Autism being one of them. The program started with An Overview of Autism by Assistant Professor Psychiatry Dr Ayesha Sarwat. An Update on Centre for Child Development was given by Chairperson Dept of Pediatrics Prof Dr Aisha Mehnaz. She said that this centre was established in response to the need felt for dealing with increasing number of cases of neuro-developmental, learning and behavioural disorders and with the vision of making children with developmental disorders a functional part of the society. She informed the audience that facilities for psychological assessment & counseling, medical check-up, developmental assessment, nutritional advice and speech therapy were available to manage different disorders like cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury, epileptic disorders, autism, ADHD and chromosomal disorders.
Director Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (IPM&R) Dr Nabila Soomro said several services were available at this institute to manage patients requiring rehabilitation. These included four major departments i.e. physiotherapy, occupational therapy, prosthetics and orthotics and cardiac rehabilitation in addition to several other specialized units like neuropsychological unit, Centre for Child Development, Autism unit, Sensory Advanced Unit etc.
Head of Autism Unit Irum Rizwan informed the audience of the developments and work being done at this unit for children with autism. She said that this was a well-equipped unit providing affordable services to children with autism.
Famous singer and activist Shahzad Roy expressed his support for the cause of autism awareness and dedicated a song to children with Autism. Autism is a behaviorally defined life-long disorder of higher cortical function, with onset in early childhood that affects sociability, language and communication, play, and range of interests and activities.
It is estimated that in USA 1 out of 100 children is autistic whereas in India 1 out of 250 children is autistic. In Pakistan, there is no statistical data of autistic children. Unfortunately there is very little awareness about autism in Pakistan. Similarly there are very few places where these children can be managed. Early detection and early intervention has a positive impact on children with autism.
It is stressed that PMDC and CPSP may be advised to highlight Autism at under graduate and post graduate curriculum of Paediatric which will create a general awareness and management of Autism. The program ended with Certificate Distribution Ceremony.