A bi-monthly meetup about true automation, new technology and open source software. We want to think and discuss about the real reason for using computer systems within organisations, about organisational structures that support new and efficient ways of working, about using open source software and technology in new and interesting ways.
The idea is to have a few topics which we choose in advance and then to have some presentations about new software or recent insights gathered from all over the place. Members can give presentations about software, hardware or methodologies made or used. Sharing our ideas will undoubtedly increase our insights and let's have a good time while we're at it!
True automation is a term we use to express a value-idea. We sometimes feel that large IT projects introduce more complexity than they should and often don't actually make life easier for the company/organisation commisioning the project. True automation is IT in service of the company/organisation, making life easier for its constituents, doing more with less!
Some topics that we'd like to frequent:
• Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery with technology like Bamboo, Jenkins, Hudson, etc;
• Self-healing systems using CFengine, Puppet, Chef, etc;
• Cross platform thinking: What technology can be used to change the typical island-style automation department into a modern multi-disciplinary team/organisation? For example: can you make OS deployment and maintenance more generic so you could have cross-platform OS teams that service both UNIX/Linux and Windows?
• New technology review! For example: what can be achieved with Node.js? How does Node compare with things like Java + Vert.x?, libev? What about using Java 8's new Lambda expressions to do functional programming? What about Clojure and Scala?
• Exchange of experiences with regards to techniques used, methodologies, what works and what doesn't; maybe a presentation here and there!