addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Baltimore Book Club Meetup Group Message Board › examples of good writing

examples of good writing

A former member
Post #: 3
For a few years I have been sending out an e-mail called “the paragraph of the day,” providing examples of good prose from a variety of sources: novels, letters, histories, periodicals.

The e-mails are sent free. Despite its name, tpotd is only issued on weekdays. There is also a website, www.tpotd.net, that provides an archive.

While many paragraphs are from well-known writers (Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Zora Neale Hurston, e.g.), I make an effort to send paragraphs from books that used to be widely-read but are not seen so often now, and from contemporary books and articles that might have been missed. Past paragraphs have come from the following, for example:

J. Christopher Herold, Love in Five Temperaments (1961)
Andrea Lee, Sarah Phillips (1984)
Michael Ignatieff, The Russian Album (1987)
Carson McCullers, The Member of the Wedding (1946)
William Maxwell, The Outermost Dream (1997)
Lorrie Moore, “Agnes of Iowa,” Granta (1996)

If people in your book club want to receive paragraphs by e-mail, they can subscribe on the www.tpotd.net site. It’s easy to get off; every e-mail includes an “unsubscribe” button.

Please contact me if you have questions. Thanks.

Paul Strauss
www.tpotd.net