addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Baltimore Book Club Meetup Group Message Board › What are people reading now?

What are people reading now?

A former member
Post #: 1
How does this work? Are we all reading the same book right now?
Lemme know!
thanks,
Noob Talia
A former member
Talia,

I'm new too, but I don't think that you have to be the initial organizer to suggest a book to read for the group. If you have something that you think people would be interested in, I think you should suggest it. But to answer your question, I'm reading "Altered Carbon".
A former member
Post #: 2
I think the question is what book has the organizor decided that we will read for this month? I too am new, and I really would like to know what to read this month.
A former member
Post #: 150
The August book that was chosen is David Sedaris "When You are Engulfed in Flames"
A former member
ohh...I have wanted to read that one. Any idea when the group will meet. I know they fill up fast. Don't want to read the book with no one to talk with about.
A former member
Hi, gang. I am a newbie too and I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I am going to start Engulfed in Flames just as soon as I finish what I am reading right now. It is a book called Sickened and it's about Manchausens Syndrome by Proxy, which is a psych disorder characterized by faking the mental or physical symptoms of someone you take direct care of (usually a parent faking symptoms in their child) in order to gain attention. The book is told from the perspective of an adult female who just recently came to make sense of her childhood by discovering what Manchausens by proxy is and realizing that her mother indeed had a bad case of it. It is a quick and interesting read!
A former member
Hi, I'm also new. I like the choice for this month. I've heard that Sedaris is extremely cool and funny. I just read Morrison's Beloved for the first time- which is unfunny, but every page is worth that Pulitzer! I love books that make you work, and that book is a workout. Incredible. I look forward to discussions about this new one!
A former member
Post #: 152
Usually the meetings are toward the end of the month on Monday nights. The organizer will post a meeting on the calendar about 1/2 way through the month.
A former member
When You are Engulfed in Flames is a great read, David Sedaris is quite the character!
To answer your question I just finished reading The Diving Bell and Butterfly (a really wonderful read and the whole time I was so focused on what Jean-Do went through to write that book. Also, very surprisingly the movie is actually really beautiful and may even compete with the book!) and just started White Teeth which I am really enjoying thus far.