addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Baltimore Genshiken - Anime, Manga, Gaming, and Cosplay Club Message Board › Public Viewings and Copyright Law

Public Viewings and Copyright Law

A former member
Post #: 59
I've been talking about the possibility of hosting larger capacity events in a public space. I likely wouldn't start doing this until after Otakon, but otherwise, this is looking feasible. But there is one possible snag that occurs to me.

You know those "FBI Warnings" at the beginning of videos? The ones we completely ignore, especially when we're showing something we downloaded? Well, one of the things that is prohibited is any kind of public showing. I can't help but wonder if showing anime in a public place without proper permissions might not get us in trouble.

Any thoughts?
Alexander M.
user 13261861
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 4
Maybe we should contact a local anime club and see how they do it?

Morgan
user 14664429
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
We show Anime all the time at the Library; I'll ask the Librarian in charge of that if he needs permission and how he gets it if he does.
A former member
Post #: 60
Thanks, Morgan.
Morgan
user 14664429
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 2
Sorry it took me so long! Our library has an ongoing relationship with VIZ and Funimation. Once we pick an anime, we usually send them a request about a month in advance.

When we want to show VIZ titles, we have to mail or fax them their "Library Permission Request" form. The PDF file can be found at www.viz.com/company/contact under Viewing Permissions. I'm not sure if that means that the anime must be shown at a library or not.

Funimation has a website for clubs, operationanime.com. Operation Anime doesn't support private clubs anymore, only clubs affiliated with schools, libraries, and community centers. However, Operation Anime seems to be a store through which clubs can buy anime for viewing, so there may be another way to get permission for showing if we already own the DVDs.
A former member
Post #: 62
Thanks a bunch, Morgan. It looks like Operation Anime is the way to go, but yes, at the moment, they're not accepting applications from clubs not affiliated with a library or a high school or something. I'm thinking I might go to the library I was thinking of using (the Brooklyn branch) and talk to somebody there about how such a thing might work.
Alexander M.
user 13261861
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 5
Or we can get around the whole thing and only show fansubs/stuff not released in America yet. Probably the Japanese copy right holders won't care if a small group of otaku thousands of miles away show their product once in a library basement.
A former member
Post #: 1
Well W.I.PO. and W.P.P.T. are the international agreements on Copyright law Covering relationship between The USA and Nippon so showing in public is kind of going against it. Yet i believe a small loop hole exist not really sure. Yet whom would really accuse us to the proper authorities. There is a company that grants licenses but i think they have to put the showing together and think charge about 100 us Dollars not really sure if that is the right route to go through