What is a civic hacknight?
This is a weekly project night is for technologists, designers, developers, data scientists, map makers, and activists who are working on "civic technology" projects. Consider this to be a study hall or office hours to improve you and the city.
This night is for those who want to:
* work on projects
* start a new project, or find one to join
* get feedback from experts
* learn about tools for local empowerment, open data, and open government
Bring your laptop, power supply, ideas, projects, maps, data, and questions. Collectively, we will try to answer them.
For first timers trying to get the most out of the night, you should bring your laptop, power supply, and watch the following videos -- Civic Hacking 101 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6LnW_qjeI) & Civic Hacking 102 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYe3dsFh10).
* Check out conversations on https://talk.beta.nyc
* Join a real time conversation via http://slack.beta.nyc
* Data tools: Data.Beta.NYC (http://data.beta.nyc/), data resources (https://docs.google.com/a/betanyc.us/spreadsheets/d/1R7O_FZLNB8VV5eoPDNATb-f0njjUsJwmz22cT_OB3fw/edit#gid=0), maps (https://docs.google.com/a/betanyc.us/spreadsheets/d/1R7O_FZLNB8VV5eoPDNATb-f0njjUsJwmz22cT_OB3fw/edit#gid=[masked]), & tools (https://docs.google.com/a/betanyc.us/spreadsheets/d/1R7O_FZLNB8VV5eoPDNATb-f0njjUsJwmz22cT_OB3fw/edit#gid=[masked])
* Community projects in process - projects.beta.nyc (http://projects.beta.nyc/)
Projects & presentations:
We keep the “formal” part of the evening down to a minimum: announcements, meet your neighbor, etc. After, we will have a number of people present, specific projects, and have some skills share / education.
* What are YOU working on?
* Hop over to talk and tell us (https://talk.beta.nyc/t/2-sep-2015-hacknight-at-civic-halll/1489).
The Code for America Brigade program is an international network of people committed to using their voices and hands, in collaboration with local governments, to make their cities better.
Microsoft Civic aims to collaboratively address the most pressing community challenges through the hyper-local creation, deployment, and evangelism of civic technology.
Accela provides civic engagement solutions for government. Accela’s solutions uniquely address the diverse needs of their constituents by making publicly available information more accessible. The Accela Civic Platform includes solutions for land management, asset management, licensing and case management, legislative management, right of way management, citizen relationship management, recreation and resource management, environmental health and safety.
Note about the venue:
You should RSVP with the name that appears on a photo ID. In order to give building security an RSVP list, RSVPs will close at 4:00 PM the day of the event. If you miss this deadline, most of the time security is nice and will let you in.
BetaNYC is committed to hosting safe and open events for all. By attending this event you are committing yourself to BetaNYC's Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy (https://github.com/BetaNYC/What-is-BetaNYC/blob/master/Code-of-Conduct.md).