addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Birmingham Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Moving the B'ham Movie Meetup to Ning.com

Moving the B'ham Movie Meetup to Ning.com

Courtney
user 5556262
Panama City, FL
Post #: 21
Hey guys! I thought I would post this idea here.

As much as I love having the Movie Fans group on Meetup.com, the annual fee to host it has been rough and I wish it was cheaper. I was recently laid off from my job I'm trying to cut as many costs as I can until I can get back on my feet. Since we pay to see the movie and go out dinner all in the same night, it would be very unfair to ask all of you for more money. I almost thought about canceling the Movie Fans Group all together, but you guys are worth it. It's been a wonderful year and I've had the best time being your organizer. I've heard of other Meetup groups moving to other social sites such as Ning.com to avoid the monthly fees. It might be harder to get new members, but it sure will be lighter on my wallet. You'll still receive emails from me about when the group will meet and it'll be posted on the Ning.com site. We'll still keep the schedule to twice a month, so not much will change.

What do you think? February may be the last month Meetup.com host the group. I'd like to get you feedback or could talk more about this week during dinner on Saturday.

The Organizer,

Courtney
A former member
Post #: 119
Hey Courtney, as an organizer myself, I'm aware of the fees. I think you should consider posting the fees and then letting people vote on whether they'd like to move the group or just bring 1$ to each meetup. That would be 2$ per person who comes to both month's events. Plus, if you make one not a movie and dinner but just a dinner, like this month, people would be saving way more than one or two dollars.
I was actually going to write you and say how thrilled I was that you were making one meetup this month just a dinner, because I've got to start getting up about 6 hours earlier by the summer ha, so the late night dinners, even tho' on Saturday, will make that harder for me...
Anyway, I really like the idea of new members always seeing this group on meetup, so I at least personally would like to float this idea. I would also post when your renewal is due, so people are aware how soon a decision needs to be made. Actually I'll go ahead and post what I'm virtually positive are the fees for anyone else reading this (from memory because I haven't looked at them in awhile): 19$/month if paying monthly, 45$ upfront for a 3 month subscription, and 72$ upfront for a 6 month subscription.
Andrew
user 7136945
Oxford, AL
Post #: 3
I don't really have a problem with the group moving if that's what needs be, but you also know that I don't mind pitching in part of the fees to keep it on Meetup. It's worth it, and it's only fair since I (and any other regular members) make use of it so often. I trust the judgment of our good and faithful leader, but am willing to go either way.

What's this about a dinner-only meetup with no movie? I think one of us if confused, because I don't remember anything about this!
A former member
Post #: 121
At first I thought maybe the bistro thing was also a movie, but nothing has been added about a movie, so I finally concluded it is just a dinner... have you talked with Courtney about it? (I emailed her asking but haven't heard back yet). Thanks:)
José
user 8285395
Moody, AL
Post #: 1
I would not mind if the group needs to move to another site, but I also be willing to contribute some if it is necessary to keep the group here on meet up, it is a great group. Either way will be fine with me.
Krishelle
ortbort
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 2
We've been having such a big group show up the last several times...If you asked each person for $1 to keep the group..going i'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

We had 16 people, then 18 people then 20 or so people last time...

We'll help you with the fees.

I also am fine with going to another site..or just keeping contacts via e-mail with the "group" we already have. yeah it's nice to meet new people but it doesn't have to be.

If anyone wants to contact me directly and outside of this site...ortbort@yahoo.com
A former member
Post #: 8
I'm a member of 3 different meetup groups. One of the groups has recently started charging a $10 per year membership fee to cover the Meetup fees. The other has(because of costs)collected everyone's email addresses and left the Meetup site and changed to a free( Ning? ), site. The downside is that everything is strictly via emails to and from the group organizer . There's no official site with members profiles,a calendar,polls or anything. Members don't know how many people (or who) are coming to the event until the organizer emails everyone a few hours before, which has to be a lot of trouble for her. Several of the members have expressed that they miss the old Meetup site and how it was "user friendly.". Personally,I'm fine with paying a yearly membership fee OR a few dollars at each event, whichever is easier, to possibly keep using the Meetup site and the perks which come with it(after seeing it done both ways.) Although I've just joined this group and haven't had a chance to attend yet, I'm grateful to Courtney for organizing the group and definitely want to help with the costs of keeping it together.I'm reallying looking forward being a part of this fun group!
A former member
Post #: 128
Thankyou SO Much for that info Jan!- I was actually thinking about posting a question today as to what the differences between the sites would be. We use the poll feature twice a month to vote on the movie. We could do it non-anonymously via a message board, but when you add on the other missing features you mentioned, I Definitely think staying on meetup would be worth sharing even more of the cost than I originally was thinking! ha.

Hey Courtney- adding to info on dues- the Ladies Night Out group has a very fair thing going right now where they don't remove you from the group for not paying until you've come to at least one meetup to get a feel for the group. So if you wanted to waive the fee for the first time someone comes you could do that. Another alternative to people paying to be a member is a feature I noticed on meetup recently, which you may have already seen, is that you can require people to pay to RSVP- Now, hopefully they only mean to RSVP Yes, otherwise you're charging people who may not, or who aren't coming, and of course you would get a miserable drop in people RSVP'ing, which as you know, you Never want!:). It's a good question for meetup. I just realized a problem tho'- if people show who had RSVP'd Maybe or not at all, you would have to keep track of who had already paid you online in order to ask the others to pay... Maybe a collection at the meeting place before the movie is best. :)
Jeff M.
jsm75
Birmingham, AL
Post #: 1
I know I have not been able to make a meetup since the summer but my wife and I did enjoy the ones we attended and hope to be able to make more in the future.

I would certainly be will to contribute but with so many free services out there I find it hard to support meetup's fees. I use NING for another group I am involved with and it has been great. The only downside is that it probably doesn't have the same level of traffic that meetup.com has.

Anyway, hope to make it back to the group soon.
A former member
Post #: 129
Hey Jeff, thanks for your input. I was wondering, you said the only downside to Ning is the lower traffic level, do you think the site Jan mentioned is one other than Ning?- ie.-does Ning have all the features meetup does? Thanks:).