To celebrate and promote a healthy lifestyle on Earth Day, GABA offers riders an opportunity to enjoy a relaxing ride to the Reid Park Zoo each April. Your bike and helmet gets you free admission at the zoo ticket booth into the Reid Park Zoo (compliments of the City of Tucson).
There are several starting points to choose from. This ride starts from the NW side of town, at the north side of Christopher Columbus Park.
We will depart at 7:45AM, so please arrive at the park by 7:30AM to sign in and socialize with your riding companions.
Here is the ride route: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/33071517
Keep in mind, this is a longer route of ~30 miles, roundtrip, including city street travel. The temperature might be high, so please drink plenty of fluids before, during and after the ride.
If wishing to ride the entire route with the ride leader, please note that I will spend approximately 45 minutes at the zoo, depending on weather, due to temperature concerns.
This is a social, no drop, C ride (12-14mph end of ride average). If one wishes to hammer ahead, one is on his/her own.
This is always a fun, memorable ride. I hope to see you at the starting point!
Post questions below, or always feel free to give me (Dave Purwin) a ring at[masked].
• Pace: 12-14 miles per hour
• Terrain: Flat
• Start Time: Wheels rolling at 7:45 am. Come early for meet & greet
• Traffic: Plan on car traffic along 40-50% of the route.
• Ride Type: Social - No Drop
• Bring: • Appropriate food & fluids for about 3 hour.
• Bring a tube and a way to inflate it. Make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition to start the ride.
• Helmets must be worn at all times while riding. No ear buds! This is a requirement and not a request.
• Obey traffic laws and remember you are a representative of the greater cycling community and should conduct yourself that way on the road. Please represent GABA well. GABA Ride Types
• Social – No Drop – we ride together two abreast where conditions permit. We often have a sweep rider and no one gets dropped
• Re Group – We ride in smaller groups at our own pace and regroup at specified points in the route
• Training Ride – The route is posted and all riders need to be self sufficient
Please select GABA rides where you are confident that you can ride the posted distance and pace. If you are looking for a different pace or distance contact any GABA Ride leader to request a ride. We LOVE requests!
GABA Ride Codes
• A 20+ mph
• B+ 18-20 mph
• B 16-18 mph
• C+ 14-16 mph
• C 12-14 mph
• D 8-12
• 1 Flat
• 2 Minor Hills
• 3 Moderate Hills
• 4 Long Climbs or Very Steep