addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

B'more on Rails Message Board › Automated Web Application Testing Strategy

Automated Web Application Testing Strategy

A former member
Post #: 75
As the founder of a software based startup company I'm constantly discovering bugs in places where I didn't think to check. I'm learning that leaving testing to a team of software engineers isn't sufficient - one of them may have thought to write a test script for one browser, but not for another or for one browser on one OS but not on the same browser on another OS. Today someone introduced me to Selenium Remote Control and Selenium Grid. In reading their "how it works" page I get the sense that these tools could potentially help. The same person who pointed these tools out also mentioned Watir as a possible option. I would like to know if there are any automated testing tool specific recommendations that you have regarding any of these products or if there are other tools that we should also be looking at. If you have any additional thoughts about cost (we're pre-outside funding, pre-revenue at this point) please feel free to share any strategy thoughts you may have about this as well - i.e. use this first and do this, but when you get to the point where you have a few million in the bank use this and do this.

You are probably wondering what our development environment looks like.
Here is what you need to assume: Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, Web Application, MySQL, and possibly Java or Python in the mix as well.

Other assumptions:
At some point we will get a ton of unexpected traffic (Digg, Tech Crunch,
etc.) and want to be prepared for that. In other words, we need to be able to test for this scenario as much as possible to prepare for it.

If you are in the DC area let me know. I would be happy to buy you cup of coffee or lunch if you were willing to discuss this in person.