addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Board Game Brawl Message Board › How to Get Your Game of Choice Featured

How to Get Your Game of Choice Featured

Nicholas
HunterGonFreecs
Group Organizer
Delray Beach, FL
Board Game Brawl has been going very well, thanks to everyone who has been attending! And me. Because, you know, I kind of do a lot of important stuff. Yeah.

I did notice that we have two minor, related issues:

1. Deciding what games to play in a timely fashion.

2. Giving everyone a chance to get their desired game on the table.

By all that is holy, what will we do?! Fortunately, I am ALL ABOUT solutions.

How about this: every Game Night (whether it's our regular Saturday game or any random weeknight games that occur) will have a Featured Game.

"Featured Game, you say?" Yes, I did say. Everyone will submit a request - to me, either via email or the message board - to get one particular game on the table, no matter what. If chosen, I'll feature it prominently in the actual Meetup announcement, and it will be the first game we play that night. Other games will be played of course, so if the Featured Game isn't your cup o' tea, you're still good to go. If we have enough people, you can play a completely different game while the Featured Game is being played. No problem.

And I'm not trying to remove the spontaneity of what we do at BGB. It's fun to dick around and play random games. I know from experience that setting down too many rules and too much structure can make a fun game night into WORK. And work sucks.

This is just a fair way to make sure everyone gets to play their favorite games, and to make sure we're not a completely rudderless ship.

Here are some guidelines:

- When you submit a request, tell me the game, and when you will actually be able to make it to a meetup. I may not choose your game for the most immediate meetup, but when I want to feature it, I will contact you first and ask if you'll be attending.

- ANYONE can submit a request, even if you don't own the game you want to play. If I have it, you're good to go. If someone else in the group does, you need to make sure they will either be at the meetup you're attending, or will lend us the game for the evening. If no one has it, but you're willing to buy it, I will give special consideration and make sure your game is featured.

- If you request a game you haven't played before, please familiarize yourself with the rules ahead of time, to expedite things. Even if you don't own a copy of the game, you can find PDFs of the rules online for most modern games.

- As far as I'm concerned, any game is, uh, fair game. This is your chance to get us to play that family/kids/mainstream game you've been pining for, but were afraid to ask about because we'd laugh at you (I mean, we're gonna laugh at you. For sure. But we WILL play it).

- This is also a good opportunity for games that tend to run over 2 hours, as those are the hardest ones to spontaneously play. WITHIN REASON...don't even bother sending me a message with the words "Twilight" and "Imperium" in it, in the same sentence, right next to each other.

- Everyone gets a turn before someone gets another turn, unless there are no other requests.

- I'll choose games based on several factors, like: When's the last time we played the game, if ever? How long has What's-Their-Face been waiting to play this? Will this be What's-Their-Face's first meetup? When's the last time What's-Their-Face chose the Featured Game? What is What's-Their-Face willing to bribe me with to make sure their game is featured?

- I reserve the right to make any game of my choice the Featured Game at any time. Because I am a fickle, vengeful Organizer.

- Our very first featured game will be Risk: Legacy, on January 19.

Thanks everyone!

Sincerely,

Nicholas, Dictator of the Banana Republic of Board Game Brawl
Garry G.
GarryG
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 4
My request for the feature game some time is that Buffy game you just picked up. I was going to request it and say that I would eventually buy it, but then you bought it lol
Nicholas
HunterGonFreecs
Group Organizer
Delray Beach, FL
Post #: 60
DAMN IT. You all need to coordinate with me better, to save my dwindling bank account.

I will make Buffy the featured game for February 2.
Garry G.
GarryG
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 5
Cool. interested in making a trade involving my Zombie Fluxx and DC Deckbuilding as well as your BTVS and Dominion?
Nicholas
HunterGonFreecs
Group Organizer
Delray Beach, FL
Post #: 61
I don't have any interest in Zombie Fluxx, and I should actually play Buffy before I decide if it's trade-fodder (I did just pay for $30 for it, after all).

I would trade Dominion for DCCDBG right now, though.
Garry G.
GarryG
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 6
I'm down for that trade.
Nicholas
HunterGonFreecs
Group Organizer
Delray Beach, FL
Post #: 63
Sweet, bring it on Saturday if you can make it.
Christopher T.
user 84898672
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 1
Lol, you're really good at laying down some rules in a funny and entertaining way, Nick. I'm happy with the Featured Game format, and how you presented the idea.
Nicholas
HunterGonFreecs
Group Organizer
Delray Beach, FL
Post #: 66
Let me be the first to point out the hypocrisy of making that joke about Twilight Imperium, and then purchasing the game and begging people to play it. I'd like to think I learned a lesson, somewhere in there. But no.
Christopher T.
user 84898672
West Palm Beach, FL
Post #: 2
Bahahah...oh, the irony. Well, if you ever want to teach me how to play Twilight Imperium, I could set aside a day...lol.