addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 16
So next weekend is UBCON. Its a weekend long gaming convention. Check out this Link for info on some of the games that are scheduled. It looks like it will primarily be a RPG event, but there look to be plenty of boardgames on tap too. I plan on going at least on saturday, prolly both saturday and sunday. I'll prolly jus grab a bag of my games and bring them to play wherever. If you have never been to a CON, there are a lot of structured events that you sign up for, but there are many more people that just find a convenient spot and start playing whatever someone has.

I guess the point of this rambling post is that it would be nice to have someone to pal around with at the CON. If you are interested, lemme know and we can meet up.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 16
Doug,

I should be able to join you for at least one day, like Saturday. I checked out the site and I'm a bit confused at to how it works. For those scheduled events how does it work? Is there just one game going and you hop in from time to time or are there several games going?

Don
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 10
I'd like some more info too, never having been to a CON before(!)... but I think I've deciphered the events list:

I see that there are two sessions of Settlers running, a couple of sessions of Munchkin and even a session of Talisman. Tons of RPG stuff, some live action. I've never done any role playing gaming before but some of the stuff billed for beginners looks like it could be fun.

I'll assume that events run continuously throughout each 4 or 5 hour time slot, and that sequential repetition (and simultaneous tables) of each game is each is dependent on a) the length of a game, b) whether there are enough players, c) available game materials and d) whether it's a tournament format.

For example, for Settlers I'd guess that they could run 3 (4-player) games back-to-back in a 4 hour time slot, and the number of games going at any given time would be based on the number that wanted to play and the number of game sets available. So, say you missed a 2:30 start, then you might be able to make a 3:45 start. This would seem right unless it's a tournament format and then you'd have had to be there at the beginning and made your way up the ladder in order to play later in the session. Make sense? As for role playing games, maybe they'd only be able to run one during a 4 hour session and if you weren't there at the beginning (with a reservation) you'd not be able to join.

Is that how it works, Doug??

Oh, and the overnight, 6 hour session of Lasertron sounds like a blast. If my knee weren't shot, I'd consider it. Storm would love it too.

Anyway, I'd definitely like to come on Saturday or Sunday afternoon and would love to have someone to hang with, as Storm will be working.

arielmt
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 4
UBCon ebbs and flows on boardgaming with the amount of boardgamers active in SARPA. Over the last decade UBCon has become more a magic tournament/RPG/LARP/mini's/anime event. Before that it had more boardgames and such going on. Today the premiere board gaming convention is the World Boardgaming Championships. That is run by the BPA (Boardgamers Players Association) and the link is: http://www.boardgamer...­ Albeit, it is a week long in summer and not in the area.

What one will find at UBCon is a registration desk on the first floor student union. When you sign up you get "tickets" for events you want to play and a name badge. Then you would show up to where the event is at the session start time, the GM collects the tickets and divides up the players in the amount of boards for the game in question depending on how many players there are. Over the last few years, all the board games were being lumped into one room, either the 2nd floor student union or the room off to the side of it. (202?)
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 5
If you run an event you get free admission to the convention. The past few years other gamers from the Saturday group have done that. This year I don't believe anyone organized into do it though. Some of the hockey friends also game and show up at UBCon too.

If there are no events of interest one typically can wander the 2nd floor student union to see what pick up games are being played. In alot of cases, that can consume the weekend. I haven't seen a case yet where anyone without a badge has been bothered, as I know a few people which just came and played pick up games in the past. Usually to standout per se from the magic/mini gamers, the board gamers grab a table or two and have a stack/bag of games on them or are in progress in a game. As other interested board gamers drift by, they join and learn new games and/or suggest their own. Usually, besides the group of gamers who show up for the events, there has only been 4-8 pick up board gamers. So it can be a relatively small group. The most I'd expect would be a dozen with a couple games going.

Personally I have never played in the settlers "events" so I can't speak to how they are run. Mostly I've GM'ed a few short events for free passage in years (however not this year) and end up playing pick-up type games with the saturday gamers or hockey gamers. (there are some over lap)

Atmosphere-wise, there typically is a dealers room with a bunch of games / dice / RPG stuff from local game stores. Sometimes it's a good selection, sometimes not. Due to the LARPs (live action roleplaying) there will be alot of costumed people walking around. Lot of gothic/vampire types and/or crazy colored hair, cloaks, armor in cases, etc... There will probably be a sectioned off area on the 1st floor student union which will hold a fighting tournament with the foam swords, armor etc... usually continually running with dressed up people mock fighting. As mentioned in the event form, there will be a few dance-dance video game machines probably on the 1st floor student union too, with various lines of people playing. Lastly, the theater in the student union will have continual anime. (have never caught any of it myself, so can't talk to it's content)

Within walking distance is the Commons, where there is a Burger King, Subway, chinese place, pizza place and CVS store. The student union also has a snack bar thing too.

All in all, UB Con is what you make of it. If you have some games you really like, bring them along and you might find a person or two interested in learning them and playing them. Usually showing up with 1-2 others so you can play a game while you wait for other board gamers to show up is a good idea, as the amount of board gamers in pickup games can vary on the day/hour. Showing up for an event would also be a good start, though I've had cases before where no one but myself and the GM showed up for an event. So don't come with the expectation of 20+ people playing in the event. (it could happen, but I'd venture only 5-10 people would be the norm)

Lastly, starting around 4-5pm Saturday, I know a bunch of the saturday and possibly hockey gamers will be signing up for the poker tournament, so available pick-up game boardgamers could be extra scarce on Saturday night until they start getting knocked out of the poker tournament.

-Kevin

PS> Some years have the "pick up" board gamers put in a different area than the 2nd floor student union. the convention booklet you get when registering would list where that would be. But typically folding tables/chairs are in the 2nd floor student union.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 17
Nice write up Kevin! This is obviously smaller than the Cons I have been to in the past, but I still think it could be a lot of fun. We can discuss the particulars at the wednesday meeting, but I think maybe a saturday afternoon/evening run might be fun. Ruth may be interested also, I havent asked her. We can discuss times/games on Wednesday I guess.