addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Game Description - Around the World in 80 Days

Game Description - Around the World in 80 Days

A former member
Post #: 10
Hey everyone. I got to play test Around the World in 80 Days last night, and I thought I’d write a brief description of it here for anyone who’s interested.

Essentially, the game is a race around the world based on the Jules Verne novel with the goal being to return to London in as few days as possible – days, not game turns, because the amount of days players spend traveling during their turn varies. On the same turn, one player can have no days spent, and others can spend 14. There is a catch, however. If everyone spends more than 80 days during their journey, the winner is the player who first moved their playing piece back to London.

The players travel by playing the combination of train and ship cards required to advance to the next destination. The numbers shown on the cards are the days spent on that leg of the journey. To replenish their hands, players choose a travel card from a face up display of available cards, each with a different action attached to it. You might choose to take an event card or to become the first player to move in the next round. Or, you could choose to travel by balloon for the next leg of the journey, or you may take a gold coin, which gives you a do over in case the balloon trip didn’t turn out the way you’d hoped. Finally, players may move a detective, which adds travel days to players that end their turn at the same location, or they can exchange up to 3 cards from their hands to look for something better.

I think it’s very similar in weight and feel to Ticket to Ride. Imagine if Ticket to Ride were a racing game instead of a set collection game, and that’s getting there. There might be a bit more luck in 80 Days because there is an event deck, but not appreciably more. Also, the players have more choices to make than they do in Ticket to Ride and it is a little less obvious what the best move might be.

So, I suspect that if you like Ticket to Ride, there’s a decent chance you’ll like this one. It says it’s playable with 2-6 players, but I suspect its best with 4 or 5. I’d like to give it a try sometime over the next few weeks if enough people are interested.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 45
Sounds like fun... Bet my wife would like it too if it plays similar to TtR... I'd be happy to play it...
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 17
Did I hear TtR? I'm in!!!
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 35
Yeah, I'll definitely give it a go.
Laurie
LaurieW917
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 4
I'd be interested in playing this game as well. smile
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 8
Scott,

First, I am glad that you got the game and were able to play test it. It sounds interesting and I am willing to play it.

Joel
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 13
After playing the game, which also lead to my first solo win within the group by one day. Doug may not want to talk about it.

I really enjoyed the game and added it to my wish list on ThoughtHammer.

I will be placing a ThoughtHammer order sometime in June. If anyone needs to pickup something please feel free to let me know. You all are welcome to add on to any of my orders.