addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › June 8th Games

June 8th Games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 74
It's our 13th meetup and I was wondering if anyone had any games that fit the occaision.

If you haven't heard Bobbie just received her order from Thoughthammer. Is there any new ones that you really want to try Bobbie?

Alright, lets get some ideas out there.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 41
I'll put in an answer to this on Saturday am. I will have Friday night to check them out.

off the top of my head, Pirate's Cove (days of Wonder), Dawn Under, and O Zoo le Mio (bought with Doug in mind) are in the top 5
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 87
I'd like to try Pirate's Cove.

Some stuff from my collection I would like to teach:

Dungeoneer: Vault of the Fiends
2-4 Player
30 Minute session time (never played it so I dont know how accurate this is)
--I think Don, Joel, and Bobbie would like this one.

Mexica
2-4 Player
90 Minute session time (tho 3 player was closer to an hour)
--Don and Joel seemed to like it. I think Scott, April, and Laurie would like it too.

Monsters Menace America
2-4 Player
90 Minute session time (this is pretty accurate)
--Again Don and Joel and I had fun with it. I think Scott and prolly Bobbie and Laurie's kids would like it too.

Some stuff of mine I would like to revisit soon if there is interest:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
3-6 Player (I think 4 is the sweet spot)
Variable session time
--Everyone has played it with varying degrees of enjoyment (Ruth hates this game). If yer interested in playing again lemme know.

Evo
3-5 Player
60 Minute session time (BBG says 2 hours, what?)
--Most everyone has played this. Some liked it, some didnt. I would like to play it again with the variant where there is one less gene auctioned than the number of players. Should make the bidding a little more intense and meaningful.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 42
Betrayal is always fun. I bought my own from a guy on Ebay who opened the box, put the plastic markers on the player cards and never punched out anything else out. I did just read an article from the designer (on Board GAme Geek) that he is working on a whole new set of rule books and scenarios to fix all the problems. Avalon Hill is going to post it on their site for download when he gets them done. He is asking for input from people who encounter problems while playing to let him know (including if you think the scenario is impossible to complete from the good or bad side).
I did love this game. I have a simplified version of the game I am bringing to Settlers gaming this evening - Haunted House. I think its its faster and would be good for when your brain dead or filler. We will find out.
A former member
Post #: 42
Hey, everyone.

Of the games listed so far, I'd like to try Pirate's Cove, Mexica and/or Monsters. I'd also play Evo again.

For my game nomination, I'll go with Samurai, for 2-4 aspiring ancient Japanese warriors, 45 minutes.

Scott

btw - I ordered the 100th anniversary Pit today, $10, free shipping, direct from the mfr. biggrin
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 88
OoOoOoO!! I would love to try Samurai!

Edit: I think Ruth would like Samurai also.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 43
I'll try Samurai - who's got it?
A former member
Post #: 43
I'll try Samurai - who's got it?

I have a copy. I noticed today that, for some reason, my BGG collection list didnt contain it. I have no idea why.confused
A former member
Post #: 44
New game.

I just received Oriente in a trade for a game I didnt like all that much. I traded for it because it supports 4-12 players, and we were looking for games to play with a big group.

The first time I read the rules, I found them very complicated and thought that it was a loser. After reading them a second time, I began to get it and saw that it really wasnt complicated but was just hard to explain, because it is a very unusual game. After reading them a third time, I became very excited about it, and I think it's a game we will like.

It's hard to describe, but it has elements of Citadels, San Juan, Bang! and, believe it or not, Munchkin. The next time we're looking for a group-wide 7+ player game, I'd like to give it a shot.

I also traded for another game playable by more than 6, Saboteur, which supports up to 10. I havent got that one yet. That one is similar to Bang! or Werewolves of Miller's Hollow in that some of the group is secretly working against the group and is rewarded when the group loses. I was particularly interested in it since I read that you shouldnt bother playing it with less than 6.

Just trying to give us more options with more people.
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 76
Yes to everything, LOL. biggrin

I'd like to try Pirate's Cove.
Pirates! Count me in, Arrrrrrr.

--I think Don, Joel, and Bobbie would like this one.
I always dig fantasy RPG stuff so long as it's not too heavy. This one is a definite yes.

Mexica
--Don and Joel seemed to like it. I think Scott, April, and Laurie would like it too.
This is one for the planners in the group, myself included. I really liked the depth and openess of this game. I think a lot of people in the group will like this one.

Monsters Menace America
--Again Don and Joel and I had fun with it. I think Scott and prolly Bobbie and Laurie's kids would like it too.
LOL, I'm not sure Laurie's kids will like this one, it's too easy for them wink. I however enjoyed my west coast demolition with Tomanagi (I'm goin back to Cali, Cali).

Betrayal at House on the Hill
--Everyone has played it with varying degrees of enjoyment (Ruth hates this game). If yer interested in playing again lemme know.
Ox will trade in all his shiny objects and quit the football team to get into some more scenarios.

Evo
--Most everyone has played this. Some liked it, some didnt. I would like to play it again with the variant where there is one less gene auctioned than the number of players. Should make the bidding a little more intense and meaningful.
Mutating Dinos = Gaming goodness

I also looked into the ones Scott suggested and I'm up for all three of those as well. Samurai looked like a really neat placement game. Oriente had a really cool theme and the fact that it supported so many people was a huge bonus. Sabotuer really peeked my interest because of the hidden role aspect. BTW there's a really good review of this one on BGG.

So my vote thus far is useless. I will say this, out of all the games mentioned these are my top choices. These are in no way set in stone. I'm going to wait for people to chime in before putting together a real lineup.

Game 1 (up to 10) - 30 min according to BGG, but we should plan for 60 according to review
----------
Sabotuer
- a fun all-in game to start out with.

Game 2a
-----------
Mexica
- put this one second because strategerizing is required.

Game 3a
-----------
- put this one third because it looked a little lighter (Doug, correct me if I'm wrong) which will work for the late start and because I really like RPGs.

As a final note, Bobbie showed us two neat filler games last night, Haunting and Circus Flicata (I'm hoping I got those names right smile ). Circus Flicata was a quick, fun, and addicting card collection game and Haunting was a fun race game which we all wanted to give another shot with more people.

OK, MEGA POST complete. Signing off now.