addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › July 20th Games

July 20th Games

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 151
I am confused is my 1st group the 3 games I most want to play in the night, the second are my second choices, and so on. Or is it the first group is what I want to play for the first game, second group is what I want to play as the second game and so on?

The 1st prefs are the games you most want to play. Then the 2nd prefs are your second choices and so on. This has been a pretty confusing week. Hope this clears it up for you Ben.

Don
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 5
I HATE LORD OF THE RINGS - I hated the books (as far as I could get through them). I didn't enjoy the movies. It was an all around pittiful experience. So count me out for that.

I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, but I hate the cooperative game. There just doesn't seem to be much point to me. Maybe the expansion would make it better, but all three times I played it before the game came down to random luck at the end with all strategy early on being virtually worthless.
A former member
Post #: 8
The 1st prefs are the games you most want to play. Then the 2nd prefs are your second choices and so on. This has been a pretty confusing week. Hope this clears it up for you Ben.

Don

Ok thanks... I understand now

1st
===
Nautilus
Shadows over Camelot
Bohnanza

2nd
===
Louis XIV
St. Petersburg
Illuminati

3rd
===
Amazonas
San Marco
Munchkin
A former member
Post #: 71
I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, but I hate the cooperative game. There just doesn't seem to be much point to me. Maybe the expansion would make it better, but all three times I played it before the game came down to random luck at the end with all strategy early on being virtually worthless.

It's definitely not for everyone. To enjoy it at all, you need to sort of immerse yourself in the story and take satisfication in working together to beat the game system. While the group's strategy early on is important, because everyone knows bad things are coming and needs to figure out the best way to meet them when they happen, there is no doubt that the luck of the tile draw plays a huge role in the game. The expansions address this somewhat. In Friends and Foes, the players are given an alternate set of victory conditions, i.e. to defeat all the dark forces they meet along the way. In the Sauron expansion, one player plays Sauron, who really pours on the hurt during the game. But, ultimately, the game with either expansion (or both) is still driven by random events.

I should warn you that Shadows over Camelot is much the same kind of experience. The players have to cooperate and figure out the best way to manage their resources to deal with the nasty things that inevitably come. The key difference between the two is that, in Shadows, one of the players could be a traitor, who wins if the game system wins. We played twice on Sunday, once with 4 and once with 3, both times without a traitor. We didnt come close to winning either time. It's a much more difficult game than Lord of the Rings. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from playing, I just wanted to be sure that everyone understands that Shadows is a cooperative game and not all that different from Lord of the Rings.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 102
I would like to try Shadows, I just don't enjoy Tolkien. I don't like the way he writes, I was bored to death during the movies ( okay there was a battle - 1 min, 1 1/2 would have been plenty - LEt"s MOVE ON!). and yes, my opinion has met with much discussion since I do play d&d and its based on Lord of the rings,
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 40
Shadows is co-op... hmm... updated list... :-)

1st
-----
War of the Ring ( for this one, it will be just two player and we should be a few turns into the game by the time everyone starts showing up at 6:30pm. Depending on interest, it can hold upto 4 players and you can thus teach more people at once that way, though the sweet spot per se would be 2.)

2nd
-----
Louis XIV
Nautilius
Illuminati (no $ cheating rules?)

3rd
-----
Tikal
St. Petersburg
San Marco
NickAnner
NickAnner
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 4
FWIW, it seems kevin dislikes the 3 & 4 player versions of War of the Ring, but i really like them. I guess since he's found new people to play i'll have to get my own copy confused
Kevin
kwojtasz
Lancaster, NY
Post #: 41
I'd be the first to admit that I prefer playing WoTR as a two player game instead of a 3/4 player co-op game. Albeit, the game takes 3-4 hours and it can be thus difficult to fit into playing. So finding other interested players is always a goal as their schedules can open more possibilities to match what times I might have available to fit in a WoTR 2 player game. Especially since the game doesn't seem to take well to email play. :-)
April
arielmt
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 54
1st
- Louis XIV
- Amazonas

2nd
- Filthy Rich
- Illuminati

3rd
- St Petersburg
- San Marco
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 152
Here's the final tally.

1st Pref
----------
Shadows over Camelot - 5 - Ben, Bobbie, Scott, Isaac, Don
Louis XIV - 2 - April, Nick
San Marco - 2 - Bobbie, Don
Illuminati - 2 - Bobbie, Don
War of the Ring - 2 - Scott, Kevin
St. Petersburg - 2 - Isaac, Nick
Lord of the Rings - Scott
Amazonas - April
Nautilus - Ben
Bohnanza - Ben
Samurai - Isaac
Tikal - Nick

2nd Pref
-----------
Louis XIV - 6 - Kevin, Ben, Bobbie, Scott, Isaac, Don
Illuminati - 4 - April, Kevin, Ben, Isaac
Nautilius - 3 - Kevin, Isaac, Don
Samurai - 3 - Bobbie, Scott, Don
San Marco - 2 - Scott, Nick
Filthy Rich - 2 - April, Bobbie
St. Petersburg - Ben
Bohnanza - Nick
Shadows over Camelot - Nick

3rd Pref
----------
St Petersburg - 5 - April, Kevin, Bobbie, Scott, Don
San Marco - 4 - April, Kevin, Ben, Isaac
Amazonas - 4 - Ben, Scott, Nick, Don
Tikal - 2 - Kevin, Isaac
Munchkin - 2 - Ben, Isaac
Bohnanza - 2 - Scott, Don
Filthy Rich - Bobbie
Illuminati - Bobbie
Samurai - Nick
Lord of the Rings - Nick

All Prefs [] = 1st pref () = 2nd pref
--------------------------------------­------
Louis XIV - 8 - [April, Nick], (Kevin, Ben, Bobbie, Scott, Isaac, Don)
San Marco - 8 - [Bobbie, Don], (Scott, Nick), April, Kevin, Ben, Isaac
St. Petersburg - 8 - [Isaac, Nick], (Ben), April, Kevin, Bobbie, Scott, Don
Shadows over Camelot - 6 - [Ben, Bobbie, Scott, Isaac, Don], (Nick)
Illuminati - 6 - [Bobbie, Don], (April, Kevin, Ben, Isaac)
Samurai - 5 - [Isaac], (Bobbie, Scott, Don), Nick
Amazonas - 5 - [April], Ben, Scott, Nick, Don
Nautilus - 4 - [Ben], (Kevin, Isaac, Don)
Bohnanza - 4 - [Ben], (Nick), Scott, Don
Tikal - 3 - [Nick], Kevin, Isaac
War of the Ring - 2 - [Scott, Kevin]
Lord of the Rings - 2 - [Scott], Nick
Filthy Rich - 2 - (April, Bobbie)
Munchkin - 2 - Ben, Isaac