addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Battlestations

Battlestations

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 181
I know I mentioned this a while back, but we now have a few more members so I'll bring it up again.

I have been eyeballing a game for a long time now called Battlestations. It is a hybrid RPG/Boardgame set in a scifi setting. A typical session of Battlestation is setting up your ship for the mission (the ship is modular, so depending on what modules you purchase you have different options). Then you can improve you ship/personal equipment as you speed off to your mission area. Upon arrival there will usually be some manor of ship to ship (or ship to creature or whatever) combat complete with lasers and missiles and shields and tractor beams and the like. There is also a strong boarding element involved where members of the party (along with some robots if they chose) can beam over to enemy ships and take them out from the inside. After the mission everyone is awarded prestige points and money that they can use to improve their characters and the ship. They can also raise in rank and have better equipment and stuff available to them.

Understand that I am not a heavy RPGer. This has a lot of elements of RPG's: Character Classes, Special Abilities, Races, Character Improvement via experience. But it also has a lot of boardgame elements. The reviews liken it a lot to X-Com and Fallout (both of which I emmensly enjoyed).

If anyone is interested, please read the following reviews:

Ynnen's Review
Cloud's Review

What I am looking for is to play this on a separate night maybe once every 3 to 4 weeks. Prolly on a Tuesday or Thursday. To start with I will play as the referee. I'm looking for 3 - 5 other people that are interested. I want to make sure that I have enuff people with the interest/ability to commit to an off-nite game before I drop the money down for it.

Anyone interested?
Joel
cuthbert15
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 46
Shocking surprise here Doug. I am interested in playing this one.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 183
I pretty much figgered you and Don would be interested, Joel. The 2 others I have a sneaking suspicion will be intersted are Isaac (He's an RPGer) and Ben (This is old school Car Wars type stuff). I have been wrong before tho.
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 117
RPG characteristics - I could try this. Let me know ....
Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 159
I pretty much figgered you and Don would be interested

Oh yeah, count me in. This is one I'm really curious about because depending on the complexity I may want to pick it up to play with the fam.

I'm looking for the nulcear wessels in Alameda. (all you trekkies out there name name that number)
A former member
Post #: 2
New game system meeting occasionally? Awesome. If Thursdays, I could easily be interested.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 189
OK, so right now we have:

Me (referee)
Joel
Don
Bobbie (maybe)
Eddie

We'll discuss this a bit more on Wednesday. If I can get some firm "yes's" from people, maybe we can build up another Thoughthammer order. I have just over $100 on my wishlist currently, but I dont need to be greedy....
A former member
Post #: 16
I am still on the fence about committing. It sounds like fun. But I am not sure if Gena would be accepting of me leaving her home with the kids another night.

When would you be placing that Thoughthammer? After Gena plays a couple of the games this week I might be wanting to order a game or 2.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 191
Thats OK Ben, thats why I put up the post. I'd rather everyone be truthful about it rather than me order it and never get to play it...

As for the Thoughthammer order, I dunno... I would guess soonish... All we have to do is hit the $100 mark and we get free shipping... I'll prolly grab Battlestations $32.50 and a card game or 2, so I'll prolly account for around $50 anyways... I suppose we can discuss it this wednesday...
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 123
Sorry about that, I wasn't a maybe, I was a yes. I just wasn't emphatic about it.