addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 633
I figure it is easier for some of us to list games we never want to play than all the games we want to play. I jokingly referred to a list of hate a moment ago, and then realized I should make one. Feel free to add your own lists. I am only going to be listing games I think might come to the table at a Wednesday meetup, Bacsm, or have in the past, but feel free to rant generally if that is your choice. I will try not to expound too much, though I give myself more license for broader categories. The list is numbered for sanity, and not in any particular order, so far.

1) Co-op games. I love co-op games, and I play them all the time, they are called RPGs. I play boardgames for the competition, even if it is only light competition (ie games that don't have a lot of interaction/screw your neighbor). Adding traitors to a co-op makes it less fun rather than more, because it just confuses the play. Arkham Horror>Shadows over Camelot. (Note I am not including team games here, resistance is not a true co-op)

2) Alhambra. This game is too random without enough make work to give me the illusion of control.

3) Blue Moon City. I thought this game was good at first, but that was back before I had other similar choices that were actually good. Compared to playing Hex Hex it was amazing, but so is watching other people play most games.

4) Abandon Ship. Ugh

5) Agricola. Broken game. Would rather play one of the better games like LeHavre or even Stone Age.

6) Carcassone. Not interested in wasting a night on this, it is a light game that I will play with non-gamers. It is not something I would set time aside to play.

7) Settlers of Catan. I have played it to death, literally. I have sentimental reasons for liking this game, but it just doesn't hold its weight against other games.

8) Hornet. First of all, it should be called Honeybee, or at least Bee. Second, it is so boring it makes me want to play Monopoly with no house rules right after just to see if my brain can die from starvation of thought.

9) 18xx. Meh, way too long a game for how many decisions are made, especially since they came out with derivatives that are much lighter and lose many of the aspects I hate.

10) Power Grid. I have been convinced this game has broken mechanics for a while now, and playing it over several weeks in a row confirmed it for me. There are really only 3 turns that matter in this game. The first turn, one turn somewhere in the middle, and the last turn. Sometimes that one turn in the middle is turned into the last turn as well, but that is rare. The only real game here is manipulating when you change phases and when the game ends. Add in tons of math, the chance for random victory based on no skill, and analysis paralysis, and this game becomes tedious at best.

11) Small world. The replay value on this game is highly overrated. It is fun a few times, but adding more races, etc. doesn't really add anything new to the game.

12) Survive. Theme is boring, game play is annoyingly slow and random.

13) Pillars of the Earth. Such a flat game.

14) Kingdom Builder. I am not convinced this is a game.

15) Elfenland. This is a game, but barely so.

NEW- 16) Confusion. This game has a lot of elements to it, none of them work for me. It really just boiled down to grabbing a piece and trying to move it straight at the case and the other side of the board, then hoping you got there. At least it was short.

Honorable Mention:
Belfort. I am willing to give it one more try, but my first play through was so boring. Not enough game to make up for how long it takes.
Andrew L
user 23699931
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 58
What's broken in Agricola?

The only game I've grown to 'hate' is probably Munchkin. It was the greatest thing the first time I played it, but then the humor dried up quick on subsequent plays.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,663
Hate is such a strong word when it comes to me and board games. I don't hate any games. Sure there are some games I enjoy more than others, but nothing that is so terrible that I would never play it again. In fact I'd much rather play any of those games listed than watch most of the crap that's on TV nowadays.

I play games for a number of reasons.... sometimes just for the entertainment and social value, sometimes for fun, occasionally for the competition, and also just to get my mind off of business matters.

Although with that being said, I wish I could hate some of these games I play. It might just cure the obsessive compulsive behavior in me tongue
Mike S.
camel_gamer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 627
Rather than games, I'm going to come up with a list of people I hate playing with, and why.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 2,928
Hrm... While hate is a strong word, there are a few games I disliked enough to never play again. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Bridge Troll - Stupid game with the most tacked on, senseless theme ever
A Dog's Life - You could play another game in between your turns of this unrewarding game
Marvel Heroes - Everything about this game is terrible

Conquest of Nerath is right up there also...

Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 634
Rather than games, I'm going to come up with a list of people I hate playing with, and why.
Woah, hey wait a minute there.
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,666

Does that mean that you wont teach me how to play summoner wars?
Bob T.
user 2281115
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 114

Can I be first?
Grant L.
ladue
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 957
Wouldn't it be quicker if Mike came up with a list of people he *doesn't* hate?smile
Isaac
IsaacScharp
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 637
Wouldn't it be quicker if Mike came up with a list of people he *doesn't* hate?smile
:)