addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › iOS Boardgames

iOS Boardgames

Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,053
Damn near impossible I'd think. But I suppose if you have the physical game you can pull out the cards so you can see what they do....
Jenna
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,149
Luckily I've played Le Havre quite a few times, so I'm aware of what most of the cards are. It's just how they're going to show which ones are available I'm curious about.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,054
Thats OK, I think my battery is going to die out before we can finish anyways. Ruth fell asleep last night playing Plants Vs. Zombies, and apparently that app prevents the ipad from going to sleep. I've got 10% juice left....
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,829
Doug I'm interested but not right away. I haven't even opened the app yet. Let me get accustom to it & I'll let you know when I'm ready.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,055
No problem, Rodney. I could still use your game center ID tho. In the meantime Jenna can school me in the proper way to run a harbor...
Rodney
Candyman
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,831
I believe it's racinrod
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 363
I need to sit down and play a full game of Le Havre on the iPod to figure out if I can work with their card layout. I did the walkthrough (which was well put together, except for it crashing on the last action) and the cards each person had worked well enough. They get put into a pile with the name showing, and you click on the pile and it enlarges them into a row, and you can select from there, enlarging a given card.

If you click low enough on the building offer spaces you can see what all of the buildings do, not just the top one available to build/buy. No matter how many times I try to zoom in on the game, it doesn't do anything, though I keep trying.

I worry it'll be a game that it would help a lot to know well before playing, since keeping track of the buildings will be difficult. If you don't know what you're looking for, it'll slow the learning curve. I don't know how great of a job it does of showing you what the opponents are doing. You may be on your own to learn the good synergies since it'll be harder to see how your opponents are beating you over the head. I see in a non-tutorial game you can ask it for hints, so that may alleviate some of those worries.

I am finding myself bothered with how you pay entry fees/feeding/energy. It seems like there should be one more column. They have a left and right arrow, with the item/good in the middle. The quantity of the good goes down when you click the right area (and the value you've paid goes up) but I'd like a column where it shows how many of each I've paid. I think this would be a bigger deal with later turns where you pay a lot of food. Also, with the tiny buttons on the iPod screen you could miss-hit something and undo everything to figure out what's going on.

It is entertaining that when trying to end your turn it says:

"You will not be able to undo your turn later"

and then directly under it:

"(You can undo your turn from the menu)"

All of that said, I really enjoy Le Havre and hope it plays fast enough to get some games in!
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,057
Speed-wise the game moves along fairly quickly. Jenna and I played 4 turns of 2-player game in a couple hours. With more players of course the time between turns will be greater as everyone has different schedules when they can play. I can easily see Jenna and I being able to play an entire 2 player short game during a work day.

As for playing on an ipod, I think you hit the nail on the head that you'd have to be familiar with how the game plays and what the cards do if you want a good experience. Even on an ipad things get a little cramped - tho I believe they have done as well as they could with the limited real estate they have to work with.

If you want to see what others have done on their turn, you can hit the Menu button and there is a "Last Turns" (or something like that) option, that displays a log of all turns played in the game. I do wish when my turn came up it gave me a rundown of what other players did on their last turn without me having to go to the menu screen to find out.

Andy, if you want to play with us I'll need your Game Center user name.

Jenna, its your turn....
Andy
user 7490358
Tonawanda, NY
Post #: 364
I saw that you could do the last move thing, which I think may work well enough when playing asynchronous. For some reason I rarely used it when playing the AI in "real time".

Also, I played a 3-player short game to see how good the "hints" were (to see if someone new to the game could learn that way). Against two of the lowest level opponents, and doing what the tips told me to each turn, I finished last. There were definitely some spots that I couldn't believe it was telling me to do what it was, but I went with it, straight to my downfall.

I'll have to look to see if I ever set up a Game Center account. I have some recollection they wanted a credit card number or some nonsense and I never completed the account. I don't know how good of an opponent I would be, I'd only be able to play where there is free Wi-Fi (or at home) and would probably just hold up a bunch of games since it would be tough to play at work as our Admin's new desk arrangement has her looking directly into my office. If I find an ID, I'll send it your way.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,058
As a new player learning the game thru the app, I can say it has helped me a little to use the hint system. It showed me that I could get a large number of resources through using the marketplace when I didn't realize you got more resources based on the number of craftsman buildings you have. That being said, even as a new player, I can see that some of the hint suggestions are.....suspect.