addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Stupid Theme Nite Ideas

Stupid Theme Nite Ideas

Mike S.
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 721
Pretty much that.

2p nite: We did this a few years ago and it was a success (or, at least, nobody complained to me). Everyone brought out shorter (<60m) 2-player games they could teach quickly and people just circulated, sitting in on whatever was available. I think I played Memoir 44 with Isaac and a couple of Zertz-series games with Rodney. We're not talking about Twilight Struggle and War of the Ring. It seemed to be a good way to check out a very narrow niche of the hobby. The problem being that you need a fair number of people to achieve a critical mixing mass. Wouldn't want to do it with 6. More like 12.

Traditional Card Game Nite: A couple of summers ago I was drinking beer on the Goodbar patio with three other booze hounds. A young lady pulled a deck of cards out of her bag and suggested we play Spades. Between the three of them, they couldn't remember the rules. Then they all looked at me, the gamer guy. I kind of felt like a jackass because, while I could teach them 18xx on the spot, I didn't know the simplest of social card games. I'd be up for Hearts, Whist, Zheng Fen, right on up to esoteric European games with specialty decks (check this).

Party Game Nite: I thought this might be nice to mix it up a little bit, and to try out new party games on gamers who can provide feedback before springing them on unsuspecting family members/NGF's. The holidays are coming. I picked up You Robot two years ago and still haven't gotten it to the table. Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose there's nothing stopping me from posting, "Slot 1&2 - Party Game Jumble - Mike plus 5 (7? 9?)", and seeing if anyone bites. That way the squares could play something thinky at the next table and not risk feeling uncomfortable.

OK. Just a few things I've been mulling over. Please don't ban me.
Elma, NY
Post #: 1,904
Don't forget the all Racing game theme night biggrin
user 7540224
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 67
2p night sounds like a great idea!
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,127
Mike will not be replying to this thread as I have banned his account until further notice.
user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,179
I've got quite a few 2 player games that never make it to the table. Scott and I are more likely to play co-ops when it's just the two of us. And I'd definitely be interested in trying new party games, as long as they bear no resemblance to Quelf.

I won't be any help with a traditional card game night. I have a weird amnesia for any game involving standard cards.
East Aurora, NY
Post #: 133
2p nite sounds great!

How about these:

• Squad Leader nite/day/morning/afternoon?
  • Federation & Empire weekend?????

user 2324423
Grand Island, NY
Post #: 1,180
Another idea for a theme is dexterity games. Tumblin' Dice, Slapshot, Toc Toc Woodman,etc.
user 2496019
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 269
I am up for all of these ideas. I also have a bunch of quick 2 player games but also longer 2 player games that i would like to play as well, ie letters from whitechapel, lord of the rings lcg, stronghold.....
Grant L.
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,015
Paul has a Federation and Empire scenario playable in a weekend?wink
East Aurora, NY
Post #: 134
Paul has a Federation and Empire scenario playable in a weekend?wink

My bad, I meant we could SETUP Federation and Empire in a weekend! The one game of Fed & Emp we played took about 6 months, playing about once a week, and one side conceded the game at about the mid-way point.

PS: I still have the first edition FedEmp somewhere in my basement or attic! ;)