addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › UBCon 2013 thread and info

UBCon 2013 thread and info

Grant L.
ladue
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,036
How was UBCon?
Jeff
jatill
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 53
I went Friday and Saturday night. It was fun for the experience. My highlight was building a castle out of cardboard boxes (on a team of 15), and then trying to have it withstand blows from projectile weapons.
Doug
SuburbnBubbleBoy
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 3,189
It was decent. It has certainly turned into more of an anime con over the years, but at least they have been consistent with having an open gaming area that doesn't end up moved all over the place. I did not play any of the scheduled gaming events, so I cannot speak as to whether that system has gotten any better or not. The dealer room continues to improve every year. This year they had 3-4 vendors that sold boardgames - Baldo still being the largest. They also had a very large selection of CCG vendors and (according to Mark) a great t-shirt vendor. I think at this point they need to consider relocating it up to the flag room or something. Its very crowded in there now.

As for my personal experience, I had a good time. All the anime cosplay is lost on me, but some of the costumes are fun to look at. I arrived about noon and after spending some time in the dealer room I went to the open gaming area and played a couple prototype games with the designer. The 1st was a simple filler dice game about leading a tribe of Goblins. Despite a few design flaws, there are the makings of an OK filler or drinking game in there. I beat the designer in a 2-player game, then Midge won one turn before I would have in a 3-player game with the designer. Afterwards Paul sat down with us and the 4 of us played a 2-player game (me vs. the designer, Midge vs. Paul) called...escape something? It was a fairly abstract game about rescuing people from planets and space stations and getting them to jumpgates before the sun explodes. I didn't particularly care for that one, but it was over quickly and I managed to beat the designer's all-time best score. He said the highest he had ever scored was 15 (out of a possible 20) - I beat him 18-15. I'm not sure who won the other game, but I found Midge's attempt at screwing Paul by throwing his people through the wrong gate entertaining. Afterwards I played a 5-player game of Elder Sign with Mark and a couple of his cronies. We spanked Yug-Sothoth despite that fact that I was completely worthless for almost the entire adventure. I ended up leaving about 4:30. All things considered, it wasn't a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Paul
user 9349172
East Aurora, NY
Post #: 270
Doug summarized my experience perfectly. I did pass through Baldy hall, looking into all of the classrooms. Almost every one had an RPG running it in. It was too cold my soft skin so I didn't watch the outside SCA battles, but I did see some Nerf gun games flying around the outside passage between Baldy and the Student Union.
Mark A.
Verdelak
East Amherst, NY
Post #: 396
It was the best con that they have had in many years. That got a few vendors from out of state to come in and that is always good.
I think maybe next year we should push for a board game room of its own. Even in a different building if need be. There weren't enough tables for everyone that wanted to play. Also, the guys who bring games are taking a real chance of having them walk out of the SU since they are right by the doors.

Don
dbc00p
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,590
I got to try that Artemis start trek simulator thing. That was a lot of fun.