addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Boston Sci-Fi/Fantasy Meetup Group Message Board Book club and books! › April 3 year Anniversary!

April 3 year Anniversary!

Josh
tyrealhsm
Medford, MA
Post #: 34
For the three year anniversary, on April 11th, I want the best books you have ever read! Post your favorite book you have ever read and I will pick three to go into the poll.

April should be fun!
Budd B.
buddman921
Newton Upper Falls, MA
Post #: 11
For the three year anniversary, on April 11th, I want the best books you have ever read! Post your favorite book you have ever read and I will pick three to go into the poll.

April should be fun!
Armor by John Steakley
Cheryl
cherylache
Somerville, MA
Post #: 6
I'm not sure if it's really my favorite book ever (I'm flexible with my favoritism), but there are at least a couple of reasons I really bonded with "Easy Travel to Other Planets" by Ted Mooney:

+I read with interest "Lilly on Dolphins", a rather dense tome on his c.60s experiments with human/dolphin cohabitation; apparently the inspiration for this novel.
+The title is reminiscent of a ridiculous Hare Krishna essay I've also had the dubious pleasure of reading.

When I came across this novel, which seemed to unite these 2 disparate reading experiences from my past, I couldn't help but become enamored. I'm definitely up for reading it again.
C:
Cheryl
cherylache
Somerville, MA
Post #: 7
I'm also very partial to the short story, "The Gospel According to Gamaliel Crucis" by Michael Bishop. The Messiah arrives in the form of a humanoid-size alien preying/praying mantis; written in chapter and verse.

May be hard to find. Included in the all-Bishop anthology Close Encounters with the Deity. I first came across it in Asimov's SciFi zine in the mid-80s. Certainly the Christian zealotry I practiced at the time influenced my favorable opinion, but not necessarily in a traditional way.
Steve
user 27991612
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 1
Favorite book: either Foundation by Isaac Asimov or VALIS by Philip K. Dick

Favorite comic series: Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware

http://www.amazon.com...­
Robyn
Robyn
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 83
Dune :)
Ken
kgagne
Boston, MA
Post #: 9
Since it's the three-year anniversary, here are my three favorite books:

Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I, Strahd by P.N. Elrod
Joseph A.
user 45451052
Boston, MA
Post #: 2
Ugh, this is tricky, because most of my old favorite's are either out of print or a little simpler than the average book listed. Ah well, nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward
Mairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede
Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (First in a series)

Maria
user 46287302
Boston, MA
Post #: 5
After much soul searching, I think I'd say my favorite sci-fi book is "The Postman" by David Brin
Budd B.
buddman921
Newton Upper Falls, MA
Post #: 14
What about diamond age.

I haven't read hyperion but hear great things.