Events that are culturally or socially oriented include our weekly bilingual Mandarin-English TUESDAY evening chat group and the weekly bilingual Cantonese-English FRIDAY evening chat group at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health at 677 Huntington Avenue in Boston's Longwood Medical Area (LMA), near Brigham Circle, which is served by the #66 and #39 buses and the Huntington Avenue Green Line (E-Line).
For our weekly social conversations, we look for those who will return week after week after week, not merely those who will visit one time and engage that night's attendees (then never return again to continue building friendships).
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/ - for Google Maps
Directions from YOUR starting point...
Until further notice, we're in Kresge 201 (To your left when you go up the stairs). If the room is unavailable, we will be in Kresge 202A (to the right of the stairs), at the top of the open stairwell near the guard's desk near the Countway Courtyard entrance to the Kresge Building of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_T.H._Chan_School_of_Public_Health). 中文 (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ContentTranslation&page=Harvard+T.H.+Chan+School+of+Public+Health&from=en&to=zh)
Look for this guard (JAY) - (or a similar guard ) at the Kresge entrance.
Jay (usually) waves you in. Be nice to Jay - but nothing too 'cute'!
Jiaqi Li hosts these friendly meetups (in Kresge 201)
Enter as you have long done;
then walk UP the open stairway near the security guard's desk. Turn left for room 201. If the room is unavailable turn around and look for 202a.
* Mandarin speakers want to practice English (and reduce their Chinese accents)?
* English speakers want to learn Mandarin?
* Nerdy Chinese folks want to bring friends and have a fun, FREE "outing" in Boston just talking with nerdy strangers in English or Mandarin?
Before 6:30 pm - free conversations
7:00 Introductions! A great chance to get to know each other.
7:00-7:30 Topic of the day??
8:00-9:00 Free chat and games.
9:00 Dinner (optional, or continue chatting)
Our location this week is Kresge 201 in the most gracious and globally conscious Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (HCSPH) where health-conscious and energy-conscious building and curriculum modifications have been made.
All attendees need to register IN ADVANCE to get an HSPH building permission for the night.
E-Mail [masked] to register your intent AND sign YES on this meetup.
PLEASE (try to) request building pass well before 4 pm the day before the Tuesday evening event (so the pass can be requested).
* Harvard Square to LMA is about 30 minutes on #66 bus or M2 Harvard bus
* Green Line E-Line comes to Brigham Circle, then walk BACK to crosswalk, then to the building
* Walking from the Orange Line takes about 5-10 minutes, via Tremont Street to Brigham Circle
* Walking from Brookline is about 10 minutes - via Huntington Avenue or Longwood Avenue
* MFA, NEU, Wentworth, and Colleges of the Fenway are adjacent - on or off Huntington Avenue
* Route 9 comes right into the area, via Brookline - passes Huntington Avenue D-line stop
* Street parking is FREE from 6 pm onward (but not always easy to find)
for a building pass if you don't have a Harvard ID; we convene in Kresge 201;
you may wish to ask the HCSPH security guard how to access Kresge 201
PLEASE plan to show up early so we can begin our 'bilingual introductions' on time.
The highest attainable standard of human health is one of the fundamental human rights. (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs323/en/) - etched in stone several human languages, including Chinese (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs323/zh/).
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_T.H._Chan_School_of_Public_Health)
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:%E5%86%85%E5%AE%B9%E7%BF%BB%E8%AF%91&page=Harvard+T.H.+Chan+School+of+Public+Health&from=en&to=zh&targettitle=&campaign=interlanguagelink) - 中文 (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ContentTranslation&page=Harvard+T.H.+Chan+School+of+Public+Health&from=en&to=zh)
Uber and the T get you there and home; there isn't much on-street parking.