addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Boston PHP Message Board Boston PHP Meetup Discussion Forum › Chapter 09: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Chapter 09: PHP Percolate! Season 6

Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,407
@David -- Perhaps you need a new keyboard.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 81
Yeh...hahaha..I usually back up everything important ... I had to set up Mysqli on my laptop...and forgot to add it to be backed up.....
Judy V.
user 52789062
Boston, MA
Post #: 19
Hi Gene,
Here is my completed work inclusive of Chapter 9.

I believe that Ken was correct about the unique index never being set on the email address in the user table. I think Larry had us set the unique index on the user table in the forum database, but not in the database from Chapter 5. In fact at the beginning of this chapter I had a bit of confusion as I assume we were working with the forum database. But when I realized the user table in the forum database did not have the data that Chapter 9 was referring to I then discovered that I was in the wrong database. Larry did say at the beginning of Chapter 9 that we should be using the database from Chapter 5 so if I had followed his guidance to the letter I would not have been in the wrong database.
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,418
@Judy -- Very nice work. Thanks for the caution signs.
Peter P.
Peter_Phelps
Bonita Springs, FL
Post #: 19
@Gene:

Going crazy on this error that is mentioned in the book:

Could not connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Using a MAC with MAMP
localhost port 8889

Have checked a ton of sites and no answer seems to work.

Might be due to the ports or might be MAMP configuration - just spent 4 hours searching????

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

@Peter
Gene B.
babong
Boston, MA
Post #: 2,422
@Peter -- I'm just getting into the database chapters now. You are out in front of me, so I have no special insights. My best suggestion would be to go to Larry Ullman's forum for this book and post a detailed question. Mention that you are a Percolator. Larry is a member of our group. He also monitors his own forum daily. I would expect a prompt reply, if not resolution, by going that route.
Larry U.
user 57195822
Boston, MA
Post #: 24
Hello Peter. You probably need to add the port to the server setting. You would use localhost:8889 instead of just localhost.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 84
Peter... Your issue was also one of my issues...Going from memory(which is not backed up..haha)..I think the following was what I did...(I am working in Windows)....Larry if you see this does not sound correct..please advise...?
1. Open the XAMPP Control panel.
2.Open "Admin"(your browser should open to localhost/xampp
3. Left column click "Security"
4.Click...Middle page half way down"http://localhost/secu...­ <= [allowed only for localhost]"
5.Change the root password to the password you set up with in MySqli( I am not sure if I also changed the "XAMPP Directory Protection to "root" and new password also....I believe XAMPP sets password to yes automatically.
......Like I said above ..I am going from memory here and I am just a novice....Just learning MySql for first time...
David D.
DaveDoyle
Boston, MA
Post #: 11
I have finished chapter 9. I had an issue with my reset password.php script and had to use techniques learned in Chapter 8 to debug. The error kept coming up email and password do not match data on file. I checked my query directly in MySql to be sure it was pulling up a user_id, it was so I knew that there was an error in the php script. I was so frustrated I left it til the next day. I ended up going line by line and discovered I used 'pass1' where I should have used just 'pass'. Once I made the correction everything worked great. I am only using localhost for the MySQL so I have no way of posting my work. Up to now I have been using borrowed space on fellow Percolator Jim Merrikin's web server since I cannot afford my own space at this time.
David P.
Dukie
Boston, MA
Post #: 85
David...just to let you know..in case you want to continue building a website.... Godaddy has a hosting plan for $3.99 per month...I believe it includes MySql..or you can do what I am doing for part of this study group....get a static ip(expensive since you may need to get a business) account and domain name(these I already had)...use XAMPP and host pages on your desktop-laptop....(that way Mysl(databases) and web pages all on your desktop laptop and easier to manage)...I am also just a novice ..so not sure on finer details ..but hey it works.....