The format of a virtual self-study group is as follows:
• Each participant commits to reading one to two chapters per week, completing the exercises and posting links to your completed work.
• Each participant obtains assistance by posting questions to a discussion area set up on the Message Board (http://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/41044082/) for each chapter.
• Each participant who completes the book is recognized on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment (http://www.bostonphp.org/messages/boards/thread/21414292).
Note: There is no classroom instruction. There are no webcasts. There are no scheduled appointments of any kind. Once you have the book, you simply proceed at a pace that best fits into your current work/life schedule. You will receive weekly e-mail updates. You also have the option to meet informally at the beginning of each Boston PHP Meetup or even set up a real life self-study group with others in your neighborhood.
How do I get started?
• Become a member of Boston PHP if you are not already a member. Simply click: Join us!
• Register for jQuery jAM, Season 4 (http://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/events/158300382/). Simply RSVP: Yes
Full disclosure: Boston PHP Meetup receives a small commission on each sale which helps fund Meetup activities. You are not required to purchase the book through our bookstore.
When your book arrives, start your virtual learning by reading one chapter at a time, completing the exercises and posting a link to your completed work.
Q: How long will the course last?
A: We will cover all 24 chapters in the book. The chapters are relatively short, so we will target two chapters per week starting Sunday, February 9 and ending Saturday, May 3. Refer to the jQuery jAM, Season 4 -- Master Discussion List (http://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/41044082/) for specific dates.
Q: Two chapters per week sounds ambitious. Can I work at a slower pace?
A: The beauty of our self-study group model is that you can work at whatever pace makes sense for your current work/life situation. Targeting one chapter per week will mean working into the summer months of June and July and we will support your efforts throughout the next 24 weeks.
Q: Do I have to wait until Sunday, February 9 to begin?
A: No need to wait! Feel free to begin by reading the Introduction once you obtain a copy of your book. Then, proceed at a pace that best fits your current work/life schedule.
Q: Do I have to live in Boston to participate?
A: Not at all. This program is virtual. We have successful graduates from many states and even have graduates from countries in Europe and Africa.
Q: Are there any additional resources I can use?
A: A jQuery jAM (http://jqueryjam.com/) website has been developed by members of Boston PHP Meetup to provide additional resources. Twitter (https://twitter.com/jqueryjam) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/jqueryjam) pages have also been set up to offer value-added content.
Q: What if I have additional questions?
A: Simply post a reply below and you will receive a response.
Let's start jAMmin'!