"Narrowing the skills gap, one chapter at a time."
NOTE: Season 2 will be led (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RlNhD0oS5pk/maxresdefault.jpg) by Senior Percolator, Vickie Comrie (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/members/29934812/). Learn more about becoming a Senior Percolator (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/pages/21338174/Senior_Percolators_and_Percolators/).
Git Lunch, our virtual self-study group focused on learning Git and GitHub, is returning for Season 2. The book we will use is Jump Start Git (https://www.sitepoint.com/premium/books/jump-start-git), from SitePoint.
What is a Virtual Self-Study Group?
The format of a virtual self-study group is as follows:
• Each participant obtains a copy of the same textbook: Jump Start Git (https://www.sitepoint.com/premium/books/jump-start-git)
• Each participant commits to read one chapter per week, complete the exercises and post links to your completed work.
• Each participant obtains assistance by posting questions to a discussion area set up on the Boston PHP Message Board (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/50719873) (coming soon) for each chapter. Each participant will receive personal feedback, as well as, a weekly group e-mail update.
• Each participant who completes the book is recognized on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment (http://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/21414292).
Notes: There is no classroom instruction. There are no webcasts. There are no scheduled appointments of any kind.
Once you have access to the book, you simply proceed at a pace that best fits into your current work/life schedule. You DO NOT need to live in the Boston area to participate. Invite your friends, family members and co-workers to join in the fun!
How Do I Get Started?
• Become a member of Boston PHP if you are not already a member. Simply click: Join us!
• Register for Git Lunch, Season 2 (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/events/235628063/). Simply RSVP: Yes
• Obtain a copy of the book (the only program cost). Simply visit O'Reilly Media and order Jump Start Git in one of two formats: print (40% off) or ebook (50% off). Use discount code: PCBW
When your book arrives, start your virtual learning by reading one chapter at a time, completing the exercises and posting a link to your completed work.
Q: How long will the course last?
A: We will cover eight chapters in the book starting Sunday, April 23 and ending Saturday, June 10. Refer to the Git Lunch, Season 2 -- Master Discussion List (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/50719873) for specific dates.
Q: Do I have to wait until Sunday, April 23 to begin?
A: No need to wait! Feel free to begin as soon as you obtain a copy of your book. Simply post a message on the Introduce Yourself: Git Lunch, Season 2 (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/50719887/) message board once you receive your book so that we can gauge participation. Then, proceed at a pace that best fits your current work/life schedule.
Q: Do I have to live in Boston to participate?
A: Not at all. This program is virtual. We have successful graduates from many states and even have graduates from countries in Europe and Africa.
Q: What if I have additional questions?
A: Simply post a reply below and you will receive a response.
Let's Git Lunch!