addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Boulder Geek Jam Message Board › What to expect at this Wednesday's jam!

What to expect at this Wednesday's jam!

Stu S.
user 177968662
Boulder, CO
Hi,
I’m Stu Stern, CEO of Gorilla Logic and one of the organizers of the Geek Jam. We are very excited for you to join us at this Wednesday’s inaugural session. We plan to begin with an open discussion of how people think the jam should work, but here’s some basic info about what to bring and what to expect.
Geek on,
-Stu

1. What is it?
An opportunity to geek out and play music. First and foremost it's about jamming -- on traditional acoustic and electric instruments as well as computers, tablets, control surfaces, whatever. If folks are interested, we can also have some preso's on geeky electronic music/audio topics.

2. Who's it for?
Geeks who play music as well as musicians who are geeks.

3. Do I need to be a serious musician?
No. It's OK if you’re not technically accomplished but if you’re going to jam, everybody would appreciate at least minimal chops and an ability to count to four!

4. Do I need to bring an instrument?
We have a PA, monitors, drum set (electronic), hand drums (electronic), piano (electronic), and mics. Other than that, it's Bring Your Own.

5. What types of instruments can I bring?
All types of instruments (acoustic, electric, horn, digital, whatever) are welcome! If you need to mic your instrument, you can use one of our mics or bring your own. The board has phantom power if you want to use your own condenser mic.

6. Do I need to bring an amp?
No. We'll run everybody through the board. You will be handed a 1/4” phone plug or a mic and the rest is up to you. We have Direct Boxes to accommodate guitar-like inputs, but you might want to bring your own stomp box if you don't want a dry sound.

7. Can I sing?
Yes. Singing on-key is a plus (although we have an app that can help with that!).

8. Can I play a computer, a tablet, or this thing I made out of Arduino and PVC tubing?
Yes, as long as you can provide us with some kind of 1/4” output to plug into the board.

9. What kind of equipment is provided at the jam?

• Roland TD-4 electronic drums with upgraded PDX-8 snare pad.

• M-Audio Keystation 88 piano-action keyboard controller triggering an iPad with a slew of synth and sampler apps, ie, you can essentially play piano, electric piano, organ, or synth.

• Yamaha DD-55 electronic handrums. You can actually play drums on this thing, but we’re just using it for percussion.

• Mackie 1620i 16 channel/4 bus Mixing Board

• Pair of Behringer 12” Powered PA speakers and 15” subwoofer. (We’ve got these hooked up to a dbx DriverRack PX optimizer that does things like auto-EQ and feedback suppression.)

• 4 Mics for vocals or instruments, and mic stands.

• Pair of Galaxy Audio spot monitors and Alesis drum monitor

10. How many people can play at a time?
We’ve got 16 inputs on the board and we expect a max of eight-to-ten people to be playing at a time, eg, Drums, Keys, Bass, Percussion, a couple of guitars, some Vocals, and one or 2 “other”.

11. Will there be beer?
Yes.

12. Who gets to play?
We expect to have a sign-up sheet by instrument/slot, with additional logistics TBD.

13. What songs will we play?
Anything goes! We have a whiteboard and a 42” TV with Airplay for sharing chords and words.

14. How do we prevent the session from degenerating into a train wreck?
Stu Stern and Ed Schwarz (Gorilla Logic CEO and CTO, respectively) are the Jam Masters responsible for ensuring maximum groove at all times. Although definitely not pros, Stu and Ed play a variety of instruments passably and have been playing together for some 30 years.