addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Portland Boxer Activity Club Message Board › Boxers & Snow/Winter Activities

Boxers & Snow/Winter Activities

kmillion
kmillion
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
I'd like to take my boxer, Jax, out snowshoeing or cross country skiing, but have been relectant to do so because I am concerned about how he'd fair in the cold weather. He loves playing in the snow in the yard with the kids when we get some, but this is for relatively short periods of time. Does anyone have experience doing this? I thought about getting him a coat and booties, but am not convinced that my big proud boy would wear them. Thanks, Kathy
Tiina
tmaide
Portland, OR
Post #: 17
pickles has loved snow ever since she was a baby. we've always taken her up to ski resorts and in the rare chance, in a town that gets full snow. we take her frisbee and she romps and jumps and plays like a crazy lady. she eats the snow and tumbles, has a grand time. we hike and she follows along just fine. they are usually so active, they are never cold.... i would not bother with clothes and shoes. only thing that happens with pickles are her dewclaw scars. the moron that cut hers out didn't cauterize correctly and the ice/snow tends to make them bleed. so we put surgical tape over them whenever we take her up and she's fine. she loves the outdoors, any weather, even rain.
kmillion
kmillion
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Pickles is adorable! thanks for sharing - this makes me want to give it a try with Jax.
Tiina
tmaide
Portland, OR
Post #: 18
awww, thanks!! i bet jax would love the snow, definitely give it a shot!
Lynn
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 4
I think it depends on the dog. Ripley loves the snow but gets really cold so has a warm coat. If she's at the dog park and really playing I'll take it off but if she's not really active, it stays on. Booties shouldn't be needed unless it's icy and her pads get cut up. We have a dog at the park who wear them as he hates the pebbles in the winter area.