addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

'Brits Abroad' in the Valley Message Board › UK Passport/Dual Citizenship Question

UK Passport/Dual Citizenship Question

A former member
Post #: 2
Hello! I was wondering if there was anyone that has any info on renewing a UK passport when you have dual citizenship? I have a U.S. passport and a UK one, the UK one is up for renewal and i'd like to renew it. I have read that U.S. might revoke the U.S. passport if i do this but reading some blogs people state otherwise and that they just have to print that but it never happens. Anyone have or had similar situation? I'd be most grateful for any info. Thanks :-) Kim
Andy
user 3784320
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 15
I have both and haven't had a problem (so far). It used to be that in order to have US citizenship you had to surrender your British Passport to the US when they gave you the Nationality Certificate. But its sooo easy to get a replacement and no-one ever checks between the two countries. I even switch passports when travelling to UK (ie Leave and return to US on US passport, enter and leave UK on British passport). As long as you remember to check-in with airline with US passport, leave and enter US with US passport but go through UK Passport Control with British passport you get through the fast lanes.

Easiest way to renew is to be in the UK when you file the renewal. If you have family in UK use their UK address for the passport to be sent to. Alternatively I believe you can renew through the British Embassy/Consulate in Washington. Checkout this website, its the official British Embassy website:

http://ukinusa.fco.go...­
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Kim,like Andy I hold both passports, infact I just renewed my UK passport from the US last year. I have been doing this for the last 30 years and have never had a problem. I also use both passports when I go back to the UK to visit.
You can download the UK application from the WEB and you can get the right size photographs by going to Sears Photography studio.

Cheers
Lesley
A former member
Post #: 3
Andy & Leslie,

Thank you so much for sharing your information, i feel okay about renewing now. I have found the application for renewal and will be sending off shortly.

Thanks again :-)

Kim
Sarah
user 5629741
Tempe, AZ
Post #: 3
Hey Leslie -
You mentioned using both passports to go back and forth between the UK/US. I have done that once, but ages ago. Have you ever received any flack upon your return to the US. I have both passports and would LOVE to use them that way, as opposed to the US only. But, I've been worried about the return part.

Thanks!
Sarah
Andy
user 3784320
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 16
Sarah,

I've used both and never had any problems. US Immigrations is only interested in who leaves and enters the USA, they dont check to see what countries you have entered while outside the US. I have only had an issue once when I used the wrong passport at British passport control when returning to the US. I presented my US passport and I should have used my British one. The passport control office asked me if I had a British one, looked at them both and then told me to make sure I use the correct one as I delayed other travellers behind me in line.

Andy
Isabel & M.
user 5810163
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 4
I just got back from the UK, and actually had to use my US passport to enter the UK as British passport had expired. So had to use the SLOW lane - never before and hopefully never again. I actually specifically asked the lady if it was legit to leave and enter US on their passport but enter and leave UK on British and she said "no problem". Of course, you can never believe anything you're told by someone in immigration...
Isabel