addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Calgary Acoustic Music Jam (CAMJAM) Message Board Host a Jam, Jam Etiquette, Jam Location Ideas › How to Host a Jam On Our CAMJAM Website

How to Host a Jam On Our CAMJAM Website

A former member
Post #: 54
Jams are the life-line of our group and we'd all like to attend more of them. We encourage ALL MEMBERS to plan and host Jams.

Please keep in mind a few rules and guidelines to help facilitate your Jam:

• Ensure you review, agree and adhere to CAMJAM Etiquette before hosting or attending a Jam.
  • Before a Jam can become a live and "Upcoming Jam", 3 or more people must say they're attending. Otherwise it will go under a different area of the home page called "Suggested" but not become a live Jam until this criteria is fulfilled.
  • It is the Jam host's responsibility to check if attendees are card holding members in good standing and/or collect per Jam fees, if applicable. They will then forward any fees gathered to Gary Freeman (our Treasurer).
  • Organizers have the power to edit Jams and add more details if required but it is the Jam host's responsibility to monitor their Jam postings and reply to any comments or emails they receive.
  • Be sure and set a cap limit on the number of attendees that your venue can comfortably support to prevent frustration and potential problems. A waiting list will appear if more members want to attend than available spots.

You can schedule a Jam in two ways (short method or long):

• Short Method: On the Home page of the site, just below the title and above the Meetup List, you will see tabs that say Upcoming, Suggested, Past and Calendar. These are where the Jam's status will reside. Notice the + (plus sign) next to the words Schedule a New Meetup. This is a link that will take you to a short form to fill out containing details for your proposed Jam.

• Long Method: You can also schedule a Meetup by hovering over top of the Group Tools drop-down menu in the top right corner of the navigation bar next to your My Profile. Select Schedule a Meetup.

The Jam forms vary in their detail level depending on which method you choose. One just allows more specific information to be gathered (such as scheduling a reoccuring event or to charge fees). The other is a quick access method for hosting a Jam. I would suggest using the shorter method for hosting a Jam to get setup initially and then fine-tuning things later on by adding more details through the long method.

Either way, the forms prompt you to fill in the Jam's details. Certain sections are required in order to facilitate the Meetup. Please take the time to be as detailed as possible with your Jam instructions for it will save you from answering emails and comments from your attending musicians.

This is a screenshot of the short form and an explaination of the form fields.

• X NO THANKS just cancels you out of scheduling a meetup.
  • The first line of the form is: What should we do? (required). Here you will post the title of the Jam you're proposing. Try and target your audience skill level, genre, style of music and type of instruments you're interested in (such as finger picking, harmonica, drums, etc.) Example: Fingerpicking Blues Jam For Beginner/Intermediate Players. Notice that since I didn't mention any specific instruments, it is assumed that any type will be allowed.
  • The second line is: More Details. This allows you to fill in the details of the proposed meetup. Please be as specific as possible.
  • The third line is: When. This is a date picker of the date/time you wish for the Jam to occur.
  • The fourth line is: Where. You can put in a general location here and email the attendees your true address if you wish. Or if you feel comfortable posting the full address, then by all means do so.
  • The fifth line is: Who can edit this meetup? Organizers or All Group Members. Generally, I'd stay with Organizers as you probably don't want the world to mess with your Meetup...

Then click the big green button to schedule your Meetup!

Long Method Screenshot:
This is a screenshot of the long method (I am not going to describe all the form fields as they are pretty self-explanitory and the form is VERY LONG). In fact, the posted screenshot can not even be seen here properly as Meetup shrinks it down too much. Trust me, it's very detailed and you can do much more with it than the short method. You will have to try it out for yourself online and get familiar with it - sorry.

Here is a direct link to the fullsize image.
GuitarLone
guitarlone
Calgary, AB
Post #: 6
Hi,
Sorry, I am trying to host a meet up, but seems like the long method I not able to do. Not able to find "group tools" in my window. And how do I limit the people for the meet up?
Sorry and thanks for help.
Lone
Gary F.
user 13850591
Calgary, AB
Post #: 17
If you go to edit at the top left and then down to edit the rvsp you can place a limit. how many people and I will do it for you if you want
GuitarLone
guitarlone
Calgary, AB
Post #: 7
If you go to edit at the top left and then down to edit the rvsp you can place a limit. how many people and I will do it for you if you want
Total of 10 please. :) Thanks Gary