addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Eugene Hiking & Camping Meetup Group Message Board › Camping Trip Details

Camping Trip Details

Chad
user 5043843
Eugene, OR
Hello all,

As we're just about one week out from the camping trip, it's time to finish up a few last details. Please read the information below completely! Especially the bits about parking and food.

1) Parking

There is limited parking at the campground. Because of this, I'm going to require that no one drive out to the campsite alone, everyone must carpool. Obviously I have no way of enforcing this, however we will dish out available parking space to those who carpool before any singles. If you are planning to drive alone, please add a comment to the event indicating you need a ride or can give a ride and we'll pair people up. We have 20 some people going and there will not be enough parking if most people drive solo, so we need to make sure we get the number of cars down to a minimum.

2) Directions and Check-In

We're camping at Little Lava Lake. Please note that this is different than the much larger Lava lake next door. You will see a sign for Lava Lake which is the entrance for both campgrounds, however to get to ours you'll want to follow the fork to the right along an unpaved road. Follow the signs to the boat ramp and you will be fine. Also take note of my phone number - 541-255-3977 - though I have no idea what kind of reception I may have there, if any. You can also try my Dad's number at 614-580-9445 in case Verizon does a better job out there (his name is Carroll). Here's a google map to the campground with a marker at our approximate camp site:

http://goo.gl/maps/OJ...­

Please note that checkin time is 4pm and I plan to be there right about 4pm on Friday. Check out time will be Sunday by 2pm so we will not have to rush on Sunday morning. Keep in mind the campground is roughly a 2.5 hour drive from Eugene.

3) Facilities

This is a fairly rustic campground. There is a non flush toilet, and running water available, but no showers or other facilities. There is nothing nearby except for a small shop at Lava Lake which sells a few treats and essentials. Plan to bring everything you need... I'll be brining a portable gas grill which will be available for anyone to use, and it does a good job with a frying pan too.

4) Fishing

Little Lava is a great place for fishing if you're into that. The lake holds Rainbow trout, some Brook trout, and self-sustaining populations of Whitefish and Tui Chub. In addition the state record Brook Trout was caught at the stream that exits the lake. Several people will be bringing boats/kayaks, and trolling motors are allowed. Swimming is fine too, though the water is likely to be quite cold.

5) Food

Here's a rudimentary food menu. I'd like some volunteers to help out bringing some of these items to avoid me having to foot a huge grocery bill. Lunches will be up to everyone individually so please make sure you plan for that accordingly:

Friday Night: Burgers, Veggie Burgers, Hot Dogs, Chips, Salad, Sides

I'll will bring a supply of burgers and hot dogs. Looking for volunteers to bring other side items to share with the group (and buns).

Saturday Morning: Pancakes, Eggs, Bacon

I'll be bringing eggs and pancake mix, and some real maple syrup (though not a lot as it's stupid expensive so please bring your own if you like the real stuff). If anyone wants to sign up to bring bacon, hash browns, muffins, whatever else that would be great.

Saturday Evening: Grilled Steaks, Grilled Chicken Breasts, Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Salad, Veggies of some kind, etc

Ryan will be bringing a big supply of steaks. I'll bring some marinated chicken breasts (I'm thinking Caribbean jerk and Sriracha Lime, though some plain or bbq as well for those who like it simple). We'll need people to round out the meal with other items such as beans, potatoes (perhaps baked potatoes in aluminum foil in the fire?), salad, grilled portabellas, etc.

Sunday Morning: same basic fare as saturday morning

Please get in touch and let me know what you can contribute.

6) Activities

In addition to fishing and swimming, there is plenty of nearby hiking for those who wish to take off on Saturday. A hike up to Green Lakes at the base of South Sister would be a great trip, at roughly 8.5 miles round trip. Of course, those who prefer to relax and enjoy camping, feel free to bring anything you may want to have fun with such as baseball gloves, fishing gear, cards, games, etc.

7) Don't forget

Make sure you bring enough food, and if you are picky about how your water tastes it would be a good idea to bring a container of water as well. We'll also be near water, in a recently snowy area, so bug repellent would be a very very good idea. And if you plan to fish, make sure you pick up a fishing license beforehand.