addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Canucks Amuck - Toronto Wargaming Group Message Board › Gotta play this Canada Day

Gotta play this Canada Day

DavidB
dbloomberg
North York, ON
Post #: 678
Hey guys,

My gaming opponent for July 1st had to cancel so I'm looking for an opponent to play from 11am to 6pm. I can host in my game room or I can travel to you. I'd prefer to play something that I already know so we can maximize our game time. Here are some titles that I know & am happy to play:

Panzer Grenadier (Avalanche)
Combat Commander (GMT)
Squad Leader (not ASL - Avalon Hill)
Men of Iron Series (GMT)
Second World War at Sea (Avalanche)
Great War at Sea (Avalanche)
Battles of American Revolution (GMT)
Mars La Tour (ATO)
Fleet Series (Victory Games)
Spanish Eagles (Compass)
Paths of Glory (GMT)

If any of these are of interest and you have the time, LMK here or email me at dbloomberg(at)rogers.com
DavidB
dbloomberg
North York, ON
Post #: 679
Thanks to Paul Kay for joining me in the Battle of Talavera from Spanish Eagles yesterday. We've both been itching to try some Napoleonics lately and this was an enjoyable learning experience for both of us as we've never played the system before. We will be playing again tonight, as we learned that we made several mistakes during our Baptism of Fire. Now that we've got the system under our belts, its time for my French to advance against Arthur Wellesley and his miserable Anglo-Spanish rabble.

Best
DB
A former member
Post #: 10
Not only did the French march on Wellesley, they dominated. Arthur had a very good start and took position on the hills above Marshal Victor, but Wellesley was unable to effective activate his forces for the second half of the game - the Spanish were more efficient that he was! - but the Spanish lines could not hold and with French cavalry in the rear, the British were forced to retire.
DavidB
dbloomberg
North York, ON
Post #: 680
Freakishly bad luck for Wellesley, that's for sure! Never seen so many 6's rolled in one game session shock (he could activate forces on a roll of 1-5 on a d6). If this was a Great War at Sea game, my fleet would have been wiped out. I also benefitted from a timely arrival of reinforcements that were also able to take advantage of Wellesley's inability to activate.

I enjoyed the game and really felt it captured the Command & Control issues a Commander faced in the Napoleonic Wars while being playable in an evening. It might appear to the casual reader that Luck has too much influence in the game system, based upon Paul's experience above. I don't think I would draw that conclusion after one sitting and so Paul and I will switch sides and refight the battle in 2 weeks. We'll post the results here. Hopefully, the Extremely Bad Luck will be exorcised and a more even fight will occur.

DB
DavidB
dbloomberg
North York, ON
Post #: 683
Seems like the bad luck for the Anglo-Spanish forces was restricted to the last game. Our recent replaying of the battle had Paul and I switching sides. I had a regular activations with Wellesley as well as a surprisingly feisty Spanish Army group which allowed me to withstand the assaults launched by Paul's French divisions and ultimately grind down his army before the end of the second day of the battle. Neither of us saw units staying dormant for long and only the historical vacillations of certain commanders at the battle affected the success of the soldiers they commanded. Paul did the same flanking moves that I did with the French cavalry but his was more effective, tying down 2 divisions that could have been used to much greater effect elsewhere. I used my British forces as the anvil while the Spanish hammer, artillery in particular, delivered blows that were relentless. In the end, the French flanks had taken too many losses in comparison to the Anglo-Spanish who were pretty beaten up as well and we ended the fight.

All in all, a satisfying Napoleonic experience. Now that we have Talavera under our belts, we'll be playing Albuera, the other battle within this game, before the end of the month.

Best,
DB