Brown & Williamson
Brown & Williamson Conservation Area is an undeveloped Chesterfield County property which is bordered on one side by the James River. There are lots of untracked woods with only a few mostly indistinct trails. Come join us for an opportunity to explore this area which is not normally open to the public.
Check out the details below. Note: Pre-registration for this event is closed.
STARTS: Start any time between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. (Everybody must be back to the start no later than 2:30 pm.) Feel free to arrive any time after 11:15 am.
COST: Maps are $5 each (pre-registered); $10 day-of (if available).
LOCATION: Brown & Williamson Conservation Area, 1 Discovery Dr, Hopewell . (Off of Bermuda Hundred Rd, near the DuPont Teijin Films plant.)
INSTRUCTION: 11:45am - 12:30pm
- Instruction will be available during above times for beginners or those who would like some help to get started. We can also offer some tips to those who've been out a few times and want to advance their skills.
- See links at the bottom to some reference materials that you can review in advance in lieu of in-person instruction.
- Bring your own compass or borrow one of ours (on a first-come basis). Be prepared to leave car keys as a deposit when borrowing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for travel both on & off trail. You are strongly encouraged to bring water.
- There are no restrooms or water on-site.
- Feel free to post comments or contact one of the organizers if you have any questions!
*** Our meets are put on by volunteers & we could use your help. Please consider offering some of your time at this or an upcoming meet. ***
PRE-REGISTRATION & PAYMENT:
We require everyone to register on the Google form & pay for their maps in advance. This cuts down on the amount of time needed on event day for waiver signing & payments. It also guarantees you a map.
Register by Friday December 2nd at Noon to give us time to print maps and reserve one for you. Only a very limited number of extra maps will be available; we cannot print them on site.
Note: Pre-registration for this event is closed.
2 courses to choose from this month:
- White (Beginner) - A traditional orienteering course completed in the numerical order indicated on the map. Great for first-timers & those newer to orienteering.
- Score-O (Intermediate & Advanced) - 90-minute time limit with penalties if over time. Find as many of the intermediate- and advanced-level locations as you can in whatever order seems the best.
Course Designer: Tim Gilbert
----- Be sure to join our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CentralVAOrienteeringClub/ -----
Below is some instructional information that you can check out to learn about orienteering before heading out on the course.
- What is orienteering: https://orienteeringusa.org/explore/what-is-orienteering/
- See the "How to Navigate" section & the video. (Ignore the info about electronic punching.): https://orienteeringusa.org/explore/how-to-orienteer/
- See the "Basic Techniques" info: https://orienteeringusa.org/resources/training/