New Quarter Park
Note: We are doing pre-registration for this event. Details, including the required Google form link, are below in the "Pre-registration & Payment" section.
New Quarter is a great park with a variety of terrain, historic sites, and great views of the river. And there's a disc golf course if you have extra time and energy after orienteering. Four courses to choose from!
STARTS: Start any time between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. (Everybody must be back to the start no later than 2:30 pm.) Feel free to arrive any time after 10:45 am.
COST: Maps are $5 each (pre-registered); $10 day-of (if available).
LOCATION: New Quarter Park at 1000 Lakeshead Dr in Williamsburg. Look for the red & white arrow orienteering signs to lead the way.
INSTRUCTION: 11:45am - 12:30pm
- Instruction will be available during above times for beginners or those who would like some help to get started. We can also offer some tips to those who've been out a few times and want to advance their skills a bit.
- See links at the bottom to some reference materials that you can review in advance in lieu of in-person instruction.
- Bring your own compass or borrow one of ours (on a first-come basis). Be prepared to leave car keys as a deposit when borrowing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for travel both on & off trail. You are strongly encouraged to bring water.
- Feel free to post comments or contact one of the organizers if you have any questions!
*** Our meets are put on by volunteers & we could use your help. Please consider offering some of your time at this or an upcoming meet. ***
PRE-REGISTRATION & PAYMENT:
We require everyone to register on the Google form & pay for their maps in advance. This cuts down on the amount of time needed on event day for waiver signing & payments. It also guarantees you a map.
Register by Thursday February 16th at Noon to give us time to print maps and reserve one for you. Only a very limited number of extra maps will be available; we cannot print them on site.
Please register and complete the waiver using the Google form link below. You will be shown payment info after registering there.
<<<<<<Google Form Registration>>>>>>
MEET DETAILS: <<<<<<<>>>>>>
4 courses to choose from. All are traditional orienteering courses that are completed in the numerical order indicated on the map.
- White (Beginner) - Great for first-timers & practicing your skills.
- Yellow (Novice) - More decision-making than White.
- Orange (Intermediate) - Includes more off-trail travel and more route choices.
- Green (Advanced) - The choice for those with advanced skills or who are ready to take on more of a challenge than an Orange course.
Course Designer: Shawn Callahan
----- Be sure to join our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CentralVAOrienteeringClub/ -----
Below is some instructional information that you can check out to learn about orienteering before heading out on the course.
- What is orienteering: https://orienteeringusa.org/explore/what-is-orienteering/
- See the "How to Navigate" section & the video. (Ignore the info about electronic punching.): https://orienteeringusa.org/explore/how-to-orienteer/
- See the "Basic Techniques" info: https://orienteeringusa.org/resources/training/