addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › Bibles and oaths

Bibles and oaths

A former member
Post #: 13
I have said this for years; use a lawbook or the (shredded) Constitution. And Oblama had to double down, one hand on each. Sickening! But John Adams didn't even campaign, how cool is that? Imagine such a thing in these times. I love the comment about using Mad magazine to take the oath. HAHAHAHAHA!

http://www.cnn.com/20...­
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,464
In the grand scheme of things, it seems trivial no matter what he places his hands on. More important is policy about wars, guns, taxes... things that really affect one's life. Most of the population is Christian, so you have to throw them a bone, I guess.
A former member
Post #: 14
In the grand scheme of things, it seems trivial no matter what he places his hands on. More important is policy about wars, guns, taxes... things that really affect one's life. Most of the population is Christian, so you have to throw them a bone, I guess.

Man, it doesn't seem remotely "trivial" to me! Separation of church and state. "So help me god" doesn't belong in there; if he's not using a Koran and every other symbol of any/every religion; he is the president of many non-Christians after all...the point is that religion doesn't belong in government. Swearing on a bible is just absurd, and it inculcates the idea (think of the suggestible children! LOL) that bibles belong in such places (and in drawers in hotel rooms). Presidents should not have prayer breakfasts or days of prayer. As for "things that really affect one's life," all of us in this country are affected every day by the Judeo-Christian juggernaut; Christians are making big decisions about the things you mentioned and their "relationships with God" govern their biases. The oath of office is hugely symbolic; photos are beamed around the world (not that I would look, or listen, so profound is my aversion) and this year we got the extra bleah of the MLK bible. Think of all the great books there are in the world! And he chooses that poorly written thing with too many subplots and anemic character development.