addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Charlotte Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › New to area and ruby. Help?

New to area and ruby. Help?

Kyle
user 61248072
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
So, I am new to the area and also new to ruby. I did a little programming in college with Java and made a simple android app. But, I'm far from an experienced programmer.

I'm looking to teach myself ruby and try to get good at programming. I am going to try to attend some meeting soon and get involved in this group.

But, what steps did you all take to get good at ruby? If you work in a career doing programming with ruby or use ruby on rails, how did you get there?

Thanks for any help :).
Jim Van F.
bigfleet
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 78
Hi, Kyle!

By the time I found Ruby, I'd been working as a professional web developer in Java for some time. So there was a lot I didn't need to learn about the field. What worked for me was building apps for non-profits that didn't really care about how they were built or worked-- most non-profits will not turn down custom software with a volunteer to write and run it.

I started with the Dave Thomas (at that time) and DHH Agile Development with Rails book, and working on projects to learn how the pieces fit together.

The other thing I did was attend meetups regularly both to hear speakers and to talk with others about projects I was working on and problems I was having.
Kyle
user 61248072
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2
Sorry for the late response. Thank you for taking the time to respond though. I'm considering a few different route right now and what I want to learn. But those are some good ideas.