addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Area Homebirth Meetup Message Board Homebirth FAQs › Changing Doctors AFter Third Trimester

Changing Doctors AFter Third Trimester

Jo Anne L.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 82
Hello - I have been hearing about mothers who have been told they can not change doctors after the third trimester. I'm not sure if it was the doctor or the insurance company who told them this. I have always gone with the 32 week suggestion more because you need to have a relationship with your provider to get the best care. Maybe midwives will still take clients right up to the due date. Many parents are afraid to change even though they don't feel their doctor is the right fit for them.

Please let me know if you have heard anything about this. I am reseaching the issue. I have called my insurance broker and Blue Cross and have been told this can not be true. If you have any information I would like to know hear it. It is important for the birth community to be aware and also for parents to know their rights. Remember you should never have to accept inappropriate treatment from any practitioner. You choose them and you can fire them at any time. I even heard of one woman who fired her doctor while in labor! She then asked the nurses who they would recommend and they found a much better choice.

Parents must educate themselves. Read, research and ask all the questions you want until you feel comfortable with your choices. If you don't feel safe and respected with your choice change hopitals or providers. There is a wide range of options to choose from. If you need help remember BirthLink give private birth options consultations to assist couples in sorting out the many choices.

I look forward to hearing from you. If you prefer to answer in private my email is Thank you - Jo Anne Lindberg, President & Founder of BirthLink - 847-733-8050.
Jo Anne L.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 90
It seems that this is true if you have an HMO. If you are using a doctor (I assume in a hospital) then please be sure that you are making an informed decision about who you want to work with. You can not change after the start of the third trimester.

In any case you need to research what your insurance company will and will not pay for. I am hearing about more nasty surprises in this department. It can be tricky if you have a home to hospital transfer. Try to speak to a supervisor. Ask what they do not cover as well as what they do. I heard a great idea the the home birth meetup. that someone at the insurance company ran a test claim to see if they would cover home birth.

If anyone has questions I also provide private consults to go through everything from payment, who, what, where and much more.
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg
President & Founder
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175
Evanston, IL 60201