addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Chicago T'ai Chi Meetup Group Message Board › T'ai Chi schools in the Chicago Area

T'ai Chi schools in the Chicago Area

Michael K.
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 51
Hey everyone,

In order to help new people find a place to practice t'ai chi or internal martial arts in their area, I'm starting this thread for everyone to post the school where they take classes or teach. Hopefully after a while we'll have a nice listing of schools in the area to refer to. I'll keep it pegged to the top of the message board.

Try to keep your listing short: name of school/instructor, address, phone, and a brief description of the curriculum or experience of the teacher.

Also, I'd like to keep the thread limited to listing of schools/instructors. If you have an "anybody know of a school near...?" question, post it separately and if you get an answer, we can add it to this thread.

Peter N.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 12

Thanks for putting together a list of schools.

I am a member of and instructor with the Human Process, a non-profit group teaching Cheng Man Ch'ing's Yang-Style Short form for over 20 years in the Chicago area.

There are 12 active teachers with the Human Process. We teach a curriculum developed by Patrick Watson, a senior student of Cheng's in NY from 1966-75.

Classes are held at the Evanston Arts Depot (Main Street Metra Station), 600 Main, Evanston.

For more information, visit "" or call 847-556-6040.

Peter Norman
Michael K.
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 53
Chinese Taoist Martial Arts Association

The Chinese Taoist Martial Arts Association (CTMAA) is a school for those pursuing authentic, in-depth, and thorough Chinese internal martial arts training. Feel free to visit the school while we are open. If you have a quick question, you can always contact us via phone or e-mail.

5039 Oakton Street
Skokie, IL 60077

The Chief Instructor of CTMAA, Master Wei-Chung Lin, was born in 1953 and started his martial art training in external styles as a teen. He has studied the internal martial arts and Qigong with several distinguished masters from China and Taiwan (in chronological order: Jian-Hua Guo, Mong-Xung Lee, Yan Xin, Shen-Nan Pong, De-Xiu Luo, Xiang-Dang Wang, Jinbao He, and Yue Pan) in the past decades and conducted extensive research on the self-defense applications of the internal arts. He is a direct lineage holder of the Hsing Yi and Ba Kua systems of the legendary Master Tsun-Yi Lee. He is also an inner-circle disciple of Master Yue Pan, the founder of the phenomenal YiZungYue martial art school and a direct lineage holder of Gao Yi-Shen Ba Kua system. Besides teaching in CTMAA, he is also a martial art instructor of the CCEA Chinese Language School in Skokie, IL. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Chinese YiZungYue Internal Martial Arts Research and Development Association in Taiwan.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am a certified Tai Chi Chuan instructor through Indiana University. I have been studying and teaching William C.C. Chen's 60 Movements for 11 years now. William C.C. Chen was a senior student of Cheng Man-Ching. I teach Master Chen's solo form, sword form, Tui Shou (Push Hands), and San Shou (boxing). I also teach self-defense with Tai Chi principles including stick and empty hand weapon defense. I have also been competing in Tai Chi Chuan for the past 5 years or so. I do private lessons. Send me a message if you are interested.
user 9487661
Chicago, IL
I take a Yang style class in Buffalo Grove at Avani Yoga taught by Tom Secco. It is a great class and we always need more people. You can see the Avani website for more details. It really is great!
A former member
Post #: 5
Here are some Chen Taichi schools I know of in Chicago. I have heard good things about all three teachers:

Chen Bing's disciple, Bosco Baek, teaches Chen style Tai Chi in Chicago. I don't have much information handy on his classes, but here's some info on him:

Andy Loria, a disciple of Chen Xiaoxing, runs Hyde Park Taijiquan.

Class info and location can be found here:

Master David Han teaches Chen style taichi from Myoung-Won Seo (a disciple of Chen Xiaoxing). He is also a master of Korean MA. This school is in Skokie, IL.

More info here:

A former member
I've been practicing Temple/yang style tai chi with Kimball Paul for 3 years. He learned through a number of masters including Hsu Fun Yeun and Waysun Liao. Kimball teaches in the Bridgeport area and his email is