addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › Is this an Ameraucana rooster???

Is this an Ameraucana rooster???

shelley
user 14170748
Statham, GA
Post #: 7

I drove two hours to poppycreek farm and bought six of these blues. I gave 4 away and think I kept a rooster by mistake!!! Am I right the one on the left is a boy??
Carolyn B
CarolynB.
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 339

I drove two hours to poppycreek farm and bought six of these blues. I gave 4 away and think I kept a rooster by mistake!!! Am I right the one on the left is a boy??

Really hard to tell from that picture. Can you get a close-up?
shelley
user 14170748
Statham, GA
Post #: 8
Ok.. close up of face..he/she is a few weeks younger than the other one if that matters. The comb is still pale pink like the other one, but I can't remember what the other one's tail looked like at this stage.
Thanks

Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 347
I don't know, it is hard to tell by a pic. If I had to venture a guess I would say pullet, but ameraucanas are often hard to tell because of the pea comb. Let them grow a while and look for saddle feathers sprouting.
shelley
user 14170748
Statham, GA
Post #: 9
Thanks, it does still hold the tail the same way the other one does so I am hoping....
Ann W.
user 11211005
Wedowee, AL
Post #: 264
They way to tell on these is feel the comb if it is detached at the back it is a rooster a hens comb does not have a place that you can lift up I am talking of the back of the comb. You can feel it loose back there if it is a roo. the hens just slant off to the head.
shelley
user 14170748
Statham, GA
Post #: 13
Well it's trying to crow I think...if it talks like a rooster it must be one, huh?
Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 353
Well, crowing is a dead give away!
shelley
user 14170748
Statham, GA
Post #: 16
I was hoping to have one of those crowing hens like I saw on YouTube when I googled such a thing....lol.
Jason M.
user 13185677
Conyers, GA
Post #: 355
Haha, yeah i guess it is possible. I have heard of hens crowing, but of all of the birds I have ever had, I haven't had it happen.