addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Faith
faithsstuff
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 30
We are thinking of hatching our own eggs, (I am also thinking we may be crazy) and am wondering if there are any places with really great reputations to buy the eggs from. Also a couple questions:
Is it always better to buy local eggs then to have them shipped?
Are we completely crazy for planning to make our own incubator?

I've done a bunch of reading, but would love to hear from some experienced folks.
Carolyn B
CarolynB.
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 460
It is always best to get eggs locally as shipping definitely has a negative effect on hatch rates. However, if there is something you are looking for that can't be found local, then shipping would be your only option. I have had success both ways. As for making your own incubator??? I can't answer that one. I believe some have had success with this and would be better to advise. I don't think I would ever attempt it. I like my factory set Genesis...just plug it in and add water and eggs! Easy breezy.

Faith
faithsstuff
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 33
thanks for the reply. The more I think about it, the less likely I think we are to try it. I don't know that I'd want to try hatching the first time with a franken-bator. thanks for the feedback.
nancy g.
NancyGarry
Bowdon, GA
Post #: 268
If I were you I'd try anyway!!!smile We have lots of varieties of chickens - you can see on our website
http://thegarryfarm.y...­

We even have red star eggs, which are our lowest cost eggs. And great egg producers...

message me at 770-733-9687 or if you just want to pick up, come out to our farm tour on Saturday 4/14/2012 and let me know you're coming so we can have whatever you want ready for you. Just had 3 great reports of redstar fertility. and One of these was shipped, so I certainly believe they are doing great!
Zach S.
user 33402092
Alpharetta, GA
Post #: 103
We are thinking of hatching our own eggs, (I am also thinking we may be crazy) and am wondering if there are any places with really great reputations to buy the eggs from. Also a couple questions:
Is it always better to buy local eggs then to have them shipped?
Are we completely crazy for planning to make our own incubator?

I've done a bunch of reading, but would love to hear from some experienced folks.
Hello Faith, Your names says it all just have Faith! I believe in you and you can do it! I have Blue Laced Red Wyandotte's and Gold Laced Brahma's and would be happy to GIVE YOU some eggs to hatch. I just started Incubating eggs a month ago so I'm a newbie aswell! We can work together I have started several Threads today on Incubating and Hatching and please feel free to jump in on the progress. I hatched my first chicks last weekend I set 7 BLRW eggs and had 3 Chicks hatch. The other 4 were fully developed but didn't hatch=crying Anyways I was still very happy with the 3 I have 16 in the hatcher right now and just had 3 baby's born today. I would recommend buying a Incubator I bought the HovaBator 1602N with the Turner brand new for $90.13 with tax. However I did go back and buy another one to hatch in because I had more eggs in and didn't want to throw off the humidity. Please do yourself a favor and buy one and hatch out some Chicks you will LOVE it! love struck And if you have any question feel free to ask or just jump in on my Threads and we will go step by step together> Thanks
Lisa and Billy T.
TaylorHobbyFarms
Dalton, GA
Post #: 53
Another thing to remember is that if you order your hatching eggs through the mail, it is best to order in the spring and fall as there are not as many temperature extremes in the trucks that carry them. I always have better hatch rates from shipped eggs in the fall and spring than summer or winter. We actually hatched 15 out of 18 for our last shipped eggs received.
nancy g.
NancyGarry
Bowdon, GA
Post #: 271
Hi faithstuff, every one that incubates, started as a newbie. :} There is a lot due to equipment. I also encourage folks to calibrate both the thermometer and hygrometer and throw that thermometer that came with the incubator away.... If temps and humdity are wrong, it affects the hatch rate tremendougly. Swings in temps do cause issues as well.

All that being said, I've had eggs that I shipped to Alaska that I count among our farm's miracles.
After candling before lockdown, they were left out in the tray while the owner responded to a predator. Well she forgot to put them back in the incubator and they stayed out 10 hours in a room that was 50 degrees and 4 of them made it through hatching and are alive today!!!!

We sell hatching eggs and have years of experience shipping and would be glad to get you some to hatch. You are also welcome to pick some up if you like, if it's a scheduled pickup! Here's info on what we have:
http://thegarryfarm.y...­

In addition to the listing in this we also sell Red stars. The best way to get in touch with us is to text or voice mail 770-733-9687 or e mail garryfarm@gmail.com We farm full time and are only on the computer a little every day!