addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board Hatching, Buying, and Raising Baby Chicks › Can my 3 week old chicks start living outside/?>

Can my 3 week old chicks start living outside/?>

Howard
user 11673470
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 11
Good Sunday evening. My coupe is built. My wife says they chicks can go live out side now? Is it true? They are 3 weeks old. Can i keep the outside in the main stay coupe? Thoughts? or do i need to leave them in for a few more weeks til they get all their feathers?

What to do??????????
Jim W.
user 11609733
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 10
I am new to this as well. Therefore if I answer you wrongly hopefully some other member will chime in.

From all of the reading I have done the chicks are not ready to go outside UNTIL they are fully feathered. Their ability to maintain body temp is limited until then. However, if you use the heat lamp outside in their coop then that may change. The time spent being raised indoors "seems" to be from what I have learned to be about 6-8 weeks.

My hen chicks are around six weeks old. The hens seem to be fully feathered so their time for outside is rapidly approaching. I actually put them outside this afternoon/evening in a coop (that needs to be reconditioned) for a while. They both liked and were fearful of the change. It is truly a WORLD of difference for them, literally their first outside, at least under my care. I got them at a few days old from Standard Feed and Seed. Given the fact I have to be mindful of predators in downtown Atlanta I chose to bring them in for the night. They seem to like it for now.

I intend to transistion them outside this week weather permitting.

Hopefuly my response was some help.

God bless,

jim

esther g.
user 11515107
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 109
Howard, I've been putting mine (3.5 wks) outside to play during the day but bringing them in under a heat lamp at night. Two reasons- 1) they get cold, and 2) they're still vulnerable to predators like rats that are not a threat to bigger chickens but that are hard to exclude from a coop. If I were you I would keep them inside at least another week or two. If you do put them out, they still need a heat lamp at night and protection from wind and drafts. Some people build out a smaller brooder space inside their coop and equip it with a heat lamp hung from a rafter.