addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Lower Mainland Chihuahua Meet Up Message Board › I need a little advice...

I need a little advice...

Leigh
user 13414178
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Alrighty, so Bruno is a tiny lil' guy; 10 weeks old and just 1 lb. He hasn't had very much exposure to the outdoors as he came from a breeder in Williams Lake and it's below freezing up there right now. Anyways I would like to start getting him used to outside, but I don't know what kind of harness to get for him, or if there's one that exists that would even fit him. I've heard not to use collars on small breed dogs, this makes sense to me, but this is the first small dog I've ever had so if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

I took him to PetSmart the other day to see what fit him, but the lady 'helping' us was a complete moron and I definitely didn't want to take any advice from her.

Thanks for the help guys!
Leigh
Suji
user 3869977
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 11
Hi Leigh -

Congrats on your little one! How exciting.

My little Bruce Lee came to around this time of year from Prince George when he was just over 1 lb as well! And I remember him being quite cold as well! But I also wanted him to be used to being outdoors, so I just got him in a comfy fleece and took him outside on sunny days.

There definitely are harnesses that would fit tiny little guys like him - we have a couple options in our shops. If he's little and timid, you might consider just having him in a soft little collar in the interim too. That's what I did with my little guy, and now he walks beautifully in a collar without pulling. (Even if you walk him in a harness, it's nice to get him used to having him in a collar for his nametag, etc.)

The leather Buddy Belts are fantastic - depending on how big he's expected to grow, you might be able to get away with getting him 1 size now, and then in a few months, his grownup size one that'll last for ages.

Suji -
Leigh
user 13414178
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 2
Thanks! He's not introverted at all, he's quite explorative and curious and doesn't get frightened by much. I'd say he's pretty bold haha.

Where is this shop you speak of? Is there a website?
Suji
user 3869977
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 12
Oh that's great for a small doggie - so nice to have a brave little one!!

Are you planning to come to the social tonight? it's being held at our new shop at 1701 W 4th Ave. If not, we do have a few more options for teeny doggie harnesses at the shop in the West End (1340 Davie).

There is a website - www.bowwowhaus.ca - though only about 20% of the products available in the shop is on-line.