addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Church of Freethought Message Board North Texas Church of Freethought Discussion Forum › recovery from addiction that is not based on a higher power

recovery from addiction that is not based on a higher power

Kendall C.
user 60862832
Arlington, TX
Post #: 1
i am a recovering addict in the dfw area. i have some clean time and have helped start a group(GROUND ZERO) in the dallas area that takes god out of the equation. it is based on 12 step groups, rational recovery, and meditative practices. being an atheist in recovery ive had to battle the support groups i have been in because of their irrational belief in having to find god to stay clean. i have also seen many go to their deaths or live a miserable existance in active addiction because of the lack of alternatives to the 12 step approach to having to find god. god scares many off from ever finding help. not many come in to recovery believing in god and if they do they usually hate god. in many ways 12 step groups are another way to trick and indoctrinate those either unsure of their belief(agnostic) or solid in what they believe(atheists) into the belief that there is no other way to stay clean but disregard your logical mind and find god. many 12 step groups are held in churches and i would like to see an alternative to what there is out there, for those in need of a support group dealing with addiction, that find the lie of finding god just wont work for them. seeing an atheist church of free thought gives me hope(as an atheist in recovery) that as a regular church (at least sometimes) reaches out to those that struggle you may also find it in your hearts to reach out and be of service to those who are locked into active addiction. I WILL CHECK BACK AT A LATER TIME TO SEE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS THANK YOU
A former member
Post #: 33
Yes!!! Much needed in our society. I've not struggled with additction myself but as a parent of a child who has suffered. As you grow, I'd love to see if there might be an opportunity to include a support group for those of us supporting our loved ones who are fighting or are in recovery. I tried one ALANON meeting and all the God talk wasn't for me. I'll keep checking back to see your posts.