addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › Films you saw - What did you think?

Films you saw - What did you think?

Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 110
Use this message stream to give you comments about movies you saw.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 111
Copacabana. Issabelle Huppert stars or should I say commands the screen in Copacabana. a French film (but not too French)that was just plain fun. It is about a very well-acted dysfunctional mother and her relationship with her daughter. The storyline, mother can never keep a job gets a new one where she is very good. But when she befriends a homeless couple, her values compete with her job sensibility and she makes a tough decision. Each scene was filled with humor and an interesting story. 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Showing this Sat 11:30am Sun 5:30pm

The Colors of the Mountains is a heart-wrenching story that is a juxtaposition of children playing soccer, children drawing and painting and guerrillas kidnapping citizens. Remember when I said that intelligent interesting people can view the same movie quite differently? My counterpoint Jewel liked this movie but I was decidedly mixed. Part of the reason is there is no explanation of why the guerrillas torment the town. Without that context, the movie leaves me puzzled as to the whole purpose. 2 stars.

Saturday 7:10, Monday 8:15

Here Comes Lola is about a 12 year old German girl who moves to a new town and tries to find a best friend. This family-oriented movie could have been made by Disney except that the Germans are much more explicit (the “N” word is used against her Brazilian father). Nevertheless, Disney could take some lessons on film making as the characters are more realistic and interesting. Rating: Adult: 2 1/2 stars. Kid: 3 1/2 stars.
A former member
Post #: 125
I saw Danny Greene: The Rise and Fall of the Irishman last night. I recommend it highly especially for those who Read Rick Porrello's book or saw the film: Kill the Irishman! I admit that it was somewhat disconcerting to see film footage of a television news reporter that I used to date. (Sorry Tappy). This was well before video tape was used for on scene reporting. Now I feel really old.
George
user 8819192
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 5
I thought Hamill was formulaic and derivative. The exposition was choppy and almost every scene was predictable. Aside from the value of the enlightenment regarding deaf culture, which is a very welcome asset, I have seen this movie at least a dozen other times, from Rocky (I, II, III, etc.) to Breaking Away, and those had much more to them than the core theme. I wanted to leave shouting, "Rudy, Rudy." Obviously, my opinion is in a distinct minority. It was chosen to open the festival and received a very high rating.
Wayne
user 3824195
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 46
The High Cost of Living
Zach Braff commands this film as a pill pusher who deals only in FDA-approved drugs and who, besides having a penchant for accidentally running down pregnant women in the street, is a warm and likable character with a conscience. Circumstances force him to choke on his confession after he befriends the victim. The acting in this film is top rate and even though we know who committed the crime from the start, the suspense is nonetheless as compelling as a who dunnit.

Almost Kings
Great film about the eventual maturation of a high school freshman who idolizes his older brother but in the end outshines him as a man. Terrific.
A former member
Post #: 126
Today (Saturday) was a major disappointment at CIFF.

First film: The Woman with the 5 Elephants (Die Frau mit den 5 Elefanten) was about 45 minutes too long. Yes, there were some valuable intellectual lessons embedded in the narrative but it really began to drag after 30 minutes, but then documentaries can do that.

Then I saw a film that set a new benchmark for bad! In fact I would rate it as the worst film that I have ever seen. The Piano in a Factory is a disaster. If you like watching people smoke and sing both off key and out of sync, then go ahead and squander $12. If you purchased an advance ticket Please know that there is an exchange policy so for a mere $2 fee you can avoid nearly two hours of misery.

To wrap up the evening I saw The Colors of the Mountain. Title sounds interesting, right. It has nothing to do with mountains or color. Completely lacking in character development and any skill in script writing.
Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 105
The best choice I have made so far this year was Vincent Wants to Sea. Somehow, it grabbed me in a way that few films have. Three of the characters are trying to learn to cope with their disorders. The acting is first-rate (I admit, the adorably charming lead character was part of the attraction), and we get to watch each character transform into a new, improved version as they travel towards the sea from their German home. If you like a movie to be entertaining, add a mix of universal human struggles, infuse it with humor and some gorgeous settings ... this has it all.

I'm afraid I would have to second Bill's opinion of Piano in a Factory. The length of that film seemed interminable. As I left the theatre, it felt almost as if I were escaping from a torture chamber!

Surviving Hitler, although not a great movie, was unique in its use of rare live footage of scenes--mostly in Berlin--during WWII. A documentary told in the present day by an actual survivor with many images, both moving and still.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 112
From my blog...

Vincent Wants to Sea is Sunday at 4:30pm.

Vincent has turrets syndrome which embarrasses his politician father whenever he has a speaking outbreak. In Germany (or at least in this film), a 27-year old can be “sent” to a home. Almost immediately, he befriends an obsessive-compulsive and an anorexic and and they escape in the therapists’ car on a road trip to visit the sea in Italy where a photo of his late mother was taken.

The Italian landscape of mountains, sky and sea had me salivating. The characters mostly were believable and likable. Of course the therapist and politician father follow them later on, but not before they learn a few predictable lessons. As a festival attendee, I try to avoid any film that looks like a typical Hollywood story. But this film does Hollywood better than anything you may see this year. Several others with me LOVED this film so take my review with a grain of sea sand.

If you know someone who is thinking of trying out the festival, Vincent is the perfect film to becoming a regular attendee.

Rating: Film fest purist 2 1/2 stars out of 4. New film goer: 3 1/2 stars.
A former member
Post #: 127
Anyone who purchased tickets for Tuesday's screening of Laura Luchetti's Febbre Da Fieno, or Hayfever for those linguistically challenged is in for a real treat.

It is probably the best festival flick I've seen since Cherry Blossoms two years ago. Hayfever has got to be a contender for CIFF "Best Film" this year. I won't get into the plot or characters for those who get to see it Tuesday at the Shaker Square Cinema. And, I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a regular theatrical run as well.

The cinematography was beautiful. Italian filmmakers seem to have a real appreciation of all this visual elements that I appreciate: color; landscape/setting; creative scene transition; and composition. This flick combines the technical with the creative in a gripping story with fine acting. All the elements are there. Highly recommended!

Unfortunately, I can't say anything good about Seven Days in Heaven, so I won't. Not recommended.

Honestly, seeing Hayfever made the 2011 CIFF a success for me.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 113
Loved Hedgehog. It is a French movie about a girl's perception of people. If it happens to show up again, do go see it.

I must also clarify my "Vincent Goes to Sea" comment. While I thought it used cheap jokes in places, there were enough redeeming values that even an experienced film goer could appreciate it.

Hope that explains my previous comments.