addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cleveland Independent Movie Goers Message Board › What fillms have you seen and what were your comments

What fillms have you seen and what were your comments

Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 130
Use this discussion board to talk about films. BTW, here is the link to ratings about all movies

file­
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 131
I saw Mumbai Kings about a poor Indian child making do in the big city. The film was exactly what you would think it was. Nothing particurlary unique or engaging. 2 * out of 5.

Blondie was a dark and sad Swedish film about 3 sisters and their mom on her 70th birthday. It was deep and quite well done. 3 1/2 *.

Broken was about dysfunctional families and how they deal with tragedies. It had a lot of things going for it, although the story at times was contrived with stereotypes, etc. Most people enjoyed it quite a bit. Halfway through I was kind of mixed but the ending gets much better. 4 * or 4 1/2* - can't decide.

PS: Alan saw Orheim and liked it very well for Saturday afternoon.

Wayne
user 3824195
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 57
Chaos is a film about a 20-year old high schooler and his planned entry into the lives of one of his professors and his wife. The ending was a bit convoluted and forced, and it took a while for the film to wrap up the elements. It was an average film with a few twists.
Jims
jsimler
Group Organizer
Beachwood, OH
Post #: 132
Today brought some surprises.

180 second
s seemed like a decent film until Michael pointed out to me that it wasn't much different than a typical American film where things are predictable, not much character development, etc. So while it was a Foreign film, it really was a simple Hollywood bank heist movie that happened to be in a foreign language. ** 1/2 out of 5.

Up There went to here in enjoyment. I had high hopes for this film but between a convoluted plot and the fact that I had difficulty understanding the characters, I didn't think it was worth my interest. **

So I had an open slot and time-wise, the best film that fit was the French-Belgian punker Le Grand Soir.. It turned out to be a very funny film. It was less than half full due to a horrible picture and not a great narrative. I imagine based on word of mouth, it will fill up very fast this Saturday. *** 1/2.

Lynda
user 3464426
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 157
The Valley of Tears - A good film with a plot that held my interest. (Although the woman sitting next to me and I both felt that the Canadian actress' glamorous hair style didn't fit her role and--oddly--distracted from her character.)

Kuma - Strong acting, especially by the main character who is unwittingly forced to become a kuma, or second wife, to an older man, according to Turkish tradition. If you like family theatrics, you'll enjoy this.

Vivian
user 33194392
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 4
Orheim Company - I wasn't going to see this because I figured it was just another dysfunctional alcoholic family movie. Well - it is mostly that but well done. Story really focuses on the son who was well acted. I ended up with a message that, although seen before, was brought home well. I give it a 4.

Blondie - several people who saw this on Thursday were talking about this while we waited in the food court for our first movie. None of them liked it. Their feelings were so strong that I almost didn't go. Then I saw Jim who had positive things to say about it. Glad I went after all. I thought the characters were solid and the acting was good. I enjoyed it as did the young woman seated next to me. Still not sure I understand everything so I need to talk to Jim again. 3.5 because some things were left unexplained.

Under my Nails. - I went to see this because it is a Puerto Rican film and I wanted to support it as I am Puerto Rican. The filmmaker was there to introduce the film. It bounced back between spanish and english which is not a problem for me since it sounded like being at my parents but I wondered if that was annoying to the non bilingual audience. It was dark, and the main character did not evolve. sadly I have to give it a 2.
Renu
user 13642432
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
G-dog--
This is a documentary about a Jesuit priest in LA who takes violent gang members and transforms them through a loving, supportive community that he has built. I was amazed to see these hardened criminals become productive, caring members of society. See it!
Jane M.
user 14653745
Oberlin, OH
Post #: 5
I hope eveeryone can just us:
Actress Mariel Hemingway shares her search for holistic and balanced health
Local individuals share powerful stories about their psychiatric service dogs.
Join us for a free event
Healing Companions Inc Fundraiser
with keynote speaker
Mariel Hemingway
April 8, 2013 5.00 pm
Riverview Room
The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
All are welcome to attend
“I am excited to help people with mental
illness turning the I of Illness into We for mental
WEllness!
Let's make this happen.”- Mariel Hemingway
For more information about the event or to donate, visit http://www.healing-co...­. For more
information about Mariel Hemingway’s work, visit www.thewillingway.com and
www.opensky.com
Wayne
user 3824195
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 58
Broken was exceptional and captures the effect of violence on those exposed in a cul de sac community.

Le Grand Soir was a hoot about a middle-aged punker and his family, set in France.

The Discoverers was disappointing. An old man's out-of-touch reaction to the death of his wife was not believable. The dialogue has hits and misses.

The Last White Knight was fantastic. It is a documentary in interview format about the meeting of a northern white man (the film maker) and a Mississippi Klan member 40-some years after the latter decked the former, who had been helping to register blacks to vote in the early 1960s.
Vivian
user 33194392
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 5
So many movies and so many opinions. I will keep this brief.

I saw about 13 movies over the last three days.

Renoir - Absolutely one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Each frame is a renoir painting. The colors, the compostition, even a plate of fish was artistic. Story is a window of time late in Renoir's life. Revolves around his household, some models, and his sons. This is a must see if it comes back to town.

Anita - good. nothing new to add.

Really good films:

Caesar must die - documentary on an Italian prison and a group of prisoners who put on a production of Julius Caesar. Good acting, good production. Interesting to see the Italian prison system. Highly recommend.

Mariachi Gringo - almost didn't go to this because I feared it was predictable and sappy. I was wrong on both accounts. But the overwhelming best part of this film is the music. Who knew I loved Mariachi music?

Pretty good:
Lord Montagu - interesting story, good film making, beautiful cars. The coverage of his trials for being gay was well handled.

A fighting heart - interesting documentary of a Cleveland boxer in 1912. Feel good story with some amazing 100 year old film of his fights.

Medium:

Up there - funny but not as funny as the review makes it out to be. Also this is another case of a movie in english that needs subtitles. Sometimes the Brits are hard to understand.

The painting - very ingenius storyline but I got tired of it. The ending was obvious with the downtrodden teaching the arrogant aristocracy a lesson. Left a few minutes early to get in line for Renoir. CIFF has this as one of their family friendly movies. It is in french with subtitles that sometimes go too fast to read. I don't know that young new readers can follow this.

Fair:
Sugar Wars - some parts good, some not. Documentary on the Lonardo family in Cleveland and the mafia connections. The narrating could have been better. The recreations were like watching a B gangster movie. A little cheesy. Done by a young Cleveland film maker from "the Neighborhood" as they say in Little Italy. He shows promise.

Did not like:
Chaos - what was the point? Sometimes you wonder how people get themselves into such personal messes and crazy situations. Also subtitles poorly done. An american whould have proof read this.

Four - another messy family with no solution. I guess I just don't like to be left hanging.