Join us for a bi-weekly work night featuring a trifecta of civic projects: Pittsburgh Food Policy Council's Food Access Tool, the 412 Food Rescue Natural Language Processing Tool, and City Scrapers! We'll have pizza and fun company -- seasoned team members and newcomers are welcome!
More information below:
Pittsburgh Food Policy Council's Food Access Tool:
This project's goal is to create an internal and public-facing resource (e.g. an interactive map) for people looking to find healthy, affordable food (ie. where can I buy produce with SNAP?).
- PFPC Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hk3n8cwbKtqxZjHni3JJlvjSSUeCv4dbVIdjq3FiTp8/edit?usp=sharing
- Documentation: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13JINdc4eNQFJEV9l9nKmEJsB6kRMf3bp
- Team lead: Steve Saylor
- How to get project updates: Email Steve at [masked] to be added to the project’s Slack (pghfoodhackathon2019.slack.com)
412 Food Rescue Natural Language Processing Tool:
This project focuses on creating ways to translate donor- and volunteer- plain language food donation descriptions into accurate reports of food categories & quantities (aka. Natural Language Processing).
- All the documentation for the project: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13uYZTqbtsLKTx1_Xo--_Nh2eQvoBUdqMIkzeE5LARL8/edit#
- Team lead: tentatively Kokila Kakaria
- How to get project updates: Email Ryan at [masked] to be added to the project’s Slack (412foodrescue.slack.com #nlp_donation_intake)
The City Bureau City Scrapers Open Source Project:
This project supports the Documenters program for documenting public events, such as school board meetings, City Hall meetings, police board meetings, etc. We are hoping to build a community in Pittsburgh that can start building and supporting scrapers within the platform for the Pennsylvania region.
City Scrapers is a risk-free python/Git learning environment, a way to build a platform for public engagement in Pittsburgh, and an environment designed to prioritize a more diverse coding space than most civic tech groups.
If you have any questions or are interested, please feel free to email at [masked].
Repository on Github: https://github.com/bonfirefan/city-scrapers-pitt
Slack Signup: https://tinyurl.com/slackcity
List of Spiders: http://tinyurl.com/cityscrapers
Future in-person work nights will be scheduled biweekly on Wednesday evenings at Code and Supply.