addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Boulder (and Beyond!) Vegan Meetup Group Message Board The Boulder Vegan Meetup General Group Discussion Forum › Updates and Upcoming Events and our 2 Year Veganversary!!

Updates and Upcoming Events and our 2 Year Veganversary!!

A former member
hi everyone!
this is going to be a longer than usual email. i will highlight the bullet points below so you can read just what you may be interested in.

First off, The Boulder vegan Meetup will be celebrating it's TWO YEAR Anniversary in November! and just as exciting is that we today added our 300th member. In our two year history we've hosted over 30 events and we consistently have over 50 people (our capacity) at our potlucks and restaurant outings (and sadly turn people away bc of lack of space)!!

The Boulder Vegan Meetup consists of so many amazing folks; we are teachers, doctors, rd's, store owners, realtors, professors, stockers, cooks, moms, dads, single moms, computer wizards, writers, bloggers, feral cat care givers, doughnut makers, peace and justice activists, gltb activists, financial planners,engineers, IT experts,entrepreneurs,raw fooders, full time AR activists, food activists,University and high school students, fast food employees,farmed animal rescuers, fitness trainers, vet techs, south americans,africans, europeans,and throw in jews, mormons, arabs, and you get the picture that we are a diverse group of compassionate folks.

when i started the group two years ago it was mostly with the intention to meet other vegans and like minded folks to build community. i'm happy to say that The Boulder (and Beyond) Vegan Meetup has evolved into that, as well as, and maybe even more importantly, a group that offers support and education for those folks moving towards /exploring the Vegan path .

As I have said before, i personally have met some of the most fantastic people I have met in my almost 25 ­years living in Boulder. Thanks to all of you for being part of this community. may we continue to thrive and spread the vegan love(:

OK, on to some upcoming events and news:

UPCOMING MEETUPS (because the next three meetups are full i decided to add a few events a month in the hopes that anyone who wants to come gather with the veg community can still come to something even if not the potluck)
Vegan Drinks atThe b.side Lounge meetup- Nov 21, 4:30 Vegan Drinks finally!!! see meetup event for more details. The owner, a newly minted vegan, is going all out to welcome the veg community. They have excellent drink specials and they are making a special vegan menu for our group. Support local business and most especially those that cater to the vegan community!

- SUN DELI Brunch -November 29nd see meetup page for details. Thanks once again to SUNdeli for offering to host us at their first ever BRUNCH. Matt and Morgan have come up with quite the menu and if it's anything like the buffet dinner they prepared for us at our last gathering I know we are in for a treat. For those of you sticking around for Thanksgiving this will be a nice time to be in Boulder and what better way to spend a sunday morning than with your peeps.

November Thanks for Living Vegan Potluck and Feast- see meeup page for more details. if you hve rsvp'd YES for this and can't make it afterall please do change your rsvp so spot can open up.

Holiday Cookie Exchange Meetup- see meetup site for details. i am extremely excited about this gathering. this will be super fun and make for great photos and spread the vegan love in a delicious and beautiful way. i've been collecating really nice tins from thrift stores (with holiday and animal themes) and will bring as many of those as we have people signed up. you'll be able to share your tin of cookies for yourself and you or you can offer as great gifts to start the conversation about cruelty free baking. (and perhaps even include a little brochure with dairy and egg alternatives) and no one has to know that you didn't make 2 dozen variety of cookies just for them(;

December Holiday Potluck Meetup - see meetup page for more details. this meetup will be located in coal creek canyon thanks to member lisa martin for letting us use this beautful spot.

Cooking Classes- i'll will be offering a free cooking class (they'll be a charge for food and materials) in januray. i hear so many times at the meetups that folks want to learn how to do basic things in the kitchen for delicious, easy and wholesome meals . depending on interest and commitment, this could become a bi monthly class. Anyone out there want to assist and learn fun things in the kitchen?? I'm looking for a free or inexpensive place to do this at so let me know if you have any ideas. I'll come up with the menu and post on the meetup site as i get it together. Give me input on what you want to learn and we'll shape the class based on people's needs.

Boulder Veg Week April 2010- I need help with this in a big way. There are tons of things to be done and if you have any time at all to help out please email me directly. This is going to be an awesome week of veg events and promote vegan living/culture in a broader way to the Boulder and Beyond community. I especially need help with graphic design and web stuff.. It could be a great project to add to one's portfolio. while we still have 5 months, these events take a lot of time and efforts. I already have 4 media and corporate sponsorship commitments and i haven't even done anything to solicit that. This could be a wonderful way to showcase Veganism and the support/excitment surrounding this path.

OTHER TIDBITS

$1.charge- up to this point i haven't made a point to charge bc it felt a bit uncomfortable: but as i've been paying for the site for two years (@$130 per year) and also make between 4-6 dishes per meetup (to make sure there is ample food for everyone) and provide the beverages i am hoping that if everyone can throw in a dollar here and there that all the costs won't fall on me.i hope people can understand and appreciate the reason for charging a buck. of course if you don't have a dollar you won't be turned away.

Profile Photos- for those of you who don't have photos i encourage to do add one because it facilitates "getting to know you better" You meet people once at a meetup and you can't remember their name but with a photo that is easily solved.

Shoes- hmm, what is a bullet about shoes doing on this list? Well, weirdly enough i have had a bunch of new folks ask whether or not they can come to a meetup with leather shoes. At first i chuckled when the first few people inquired, but after the fifth person emailed me about it i realized what an awful image vegans had. OF COURSE you can come with leather shoes! i know we all are on this path in different ways and at different places and i hope that this meetup never makes people feel badly about where they are on that spectrum. come with an open mind and an open heart and you can wear whatever you want on your feet and feel welcome.

Personal aside:I've recently traveled quite a bit over the last few months to a variety of Animal Rights conferences, Vegetarin Food Festivals, USDA conferences and Natural Products trade shows. What i came away from all these events I personally attended, and the dozens more that I have read about, is one very important thing.... Veganism has arrived!
Veganism is the new Vegetarianism. Veganism is cool, trendy, sustainable, eco-conscious and everyone and their grandmother is interested.
Don't let this time in our culture slip by without using every opportunity to speak out for the all animals , the planet and all life on earth. Without sounding too dire and negative, our time is limited and we are all "blessed" to be alive in these times and what better way to spend it then to live and promote a way of life (and be a shining example !)that is just and sustainable for all.

ok, that's all for now. hope i didn't lose everyone out there(:

warmly and with gratitude for all each one of you do to make a world without exploitation-
lisa