addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Some Basic Questions - First Time Member / Rider

Some Basic Questions - First Time Member / Rider

Matias J. O.
user 39024582
Miami, FL
Post #: 1
Ok, I just joined and I am very eager to get out there and cycle. As anyone can imagine I do have a couple of questions that may sound dumb but hey I can't seem to find the answers. I am a beginner to what someone would call cycling in groups, but I do consider myself athletic and in shape, therefore I should be able to keep up with the pace. Now for the questions:

1) Not really sure what kind of bike I have, it was bought from Kmart about 10 years ago (lol) but rides fine and changes gear without a problem. Was planning on using it for the ride in downtown on 24/2/2012, and was wondering if it is accepted or if you have to have a special kind of bike?

2) Also, I do not have any gear, equipment (clothing), or helmet. I did read that a front and back light was mandatory so I will purchase one before the event. Is there anything else that I need to have that will prevent me from participating?

3) Now if anyone could help recommend a bike for me to purchase that would be great! I do not have a lot of money to spend but I am willing to purchase something around $200.

Thanks again for the help and I hope to enjoy my first ride!
A former member
Post #: 197
Matias:

Any kind of bicycle is acceptable. We are even occasionally joined by on-line skaters and skateboarders. It's about all kinds of cyclists coming together to enjoy a shared experience.

Check Craig's list and call around to the bike shops in your area to inquire about used bikes for sale---many accept trade-ins.

Look forward to riding with you...