addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Beautiful Day; But a Lousy Ride (For Me) Sept. 11th

Beautiful Day; But a Lousy Ride (For Me) Sept. 11th

Omar
omarrh
Miami, FL
Post #: 10
Today I had the worst bike ride since I started riding regularly over two years ago. This is saying a lot considering that a fall during one of my rides caused an injury that required shoulder surgery and eight months of physical therapy in order to regain mobility from my left arm.

Anyhow, the day started out beautifully. It felt great to “get back on the saddle” after a couple of months hiatus from riding. But the ride soon turned into an ordeal. I started off corking which entailed stopping and waiting until the group passed, then accelerating to the front of the group to do it all over again. By the fourth or fifth cork I had exhausted most of my energy. Before we had reached four miles I was already struggling. Near the sixth mile I was totally out of breath and could barely keep pace with the pack, AND THIS WAS A RIDE THAT ONLY AVERAGED 9 TO 11 MPH. At about the seventh mile or so someone had a flat and I stayed behind with him and another rider (sorry guys, don’t remember names very well) mostly to take a break. When he was almost finished changing the tire I decided to go ahead so I wouldn’t hold them up because I had no energy to keep up with their pace once they got going. Anyhow, they told me that the Daily Bread was on 27th and 24th so I headed to 27th Ave and 24th ST. When I got there I didn’t see the restaurant and headed to Coral Way and 27th AVE just in case I misunderstood the directions. There was nothing there either, so I headed back South towards US1 hoping that I could find the place; but no such luck. (I now know that it is in 24th AVE and 27th ST, oh well!)

From there I just decided to head back to the Metrorail station and go home. I rode back at a slow 7 to 8 mph pace and by the time I got to the parking lot I barely had enough energy to lift my bike on to the bike rack. I felt like a real wuz!

At the end of the day I did learn a few things from today’s ride though. First of all, I should have had more than a cortadito for breakfast before a ride, especially when dinner was just a large Mojito and a couple of hors d’ouvres the previous night. I also need to hydrate before the ride and not wait until I feel the need. Finally, I learned that I shouldn’t assume that I can pick up where I left off after a couple of months without riding and push myself more than necessary (the corking). I'll just have to chalk it up to experience.

Renee S.
reneeskuban
Miami, FL
Post #: 8
Wow. That DOES sound pretty lousy. At least you learned a number of things. And it was good of you to share them so we don't make the same mistakes!

Next ride will be better!
A former member
Post #: 5
Same exact thing happened to me, twice, after being without a bike for 6 months. Except I tanked so completely a strong rider pushed me back to the start point. I started all over again, using a heart rate monitor, and have been building a base over the last two months by gradually riding longer and longer at 70-80% of maximum heart rate. Seems to be helping, although it takes some discipline to keep to the slower, easier rides.

Hope your next ride will be better, and maybe give some thought to building back up a little more slowly.
Omar
omarrh
Miami, FL
Post #: 11
Thanks for the feedback ladies. I will be riding easier for the time being, and plan to start commuting again as soon as the weather permits it. This routine should get me in my groove.

After reading my post I realized that I left out another important lesson which I hope I will remember next time around. If I ever have to split up with a group, for whatever reason, and I plan to hook up with them again, I'll need to get more accurate directions. smile
A former member
Post #: 1
Wow. This scares me because I haven't ridden in years! I was hoping to start at Critical Mass this month, but after hearing your story, I'm not sure I can make it. I'm overweight and in my 40's. Any suggestions?
Collin
emperor_tomato
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 176
Omar,
I'm sorry this ride was so lousy for you. I'm also sorry that so many of the regular organizers were out of town and unable to take part. Usually, we have the corking down pretty well, and that would have allowed you to just enjoy the ride.
I hope to see you at future rides when you are healed, take it easy for now.
Thank you for helping out and corking and get well.
A former member
Post #: 166
Omar:

I'm surprised to learn you were having a hard time.

You was corking very effectively. Usually, with that small a group, I'm involved in virtually every corking situation.

But on several occasions, I arrived at major intersections, accessed the situation, and just kept on...

You and Scott were a great help. Thank you both.

I didn't think anything of you having missed a number of rides. I can think of several people that participate occasionally, but cycle regularly and don't experience your problem.

The body just doesn't have a way of letting you know that you've lost capacity from inactivity.

Yes, appropriate food and fluid consumption are essential for this level of intensity.

By the time I arrive at the starting point, I'm still a bit uncomfortably full.

I've consumed a large and varied meal and hydrated throughly. It always gets me through to the mid-ride stop, then a bottle of juice or iced tea gets me through the rest.

Hopefully, you can join us on Friday, the 24th; any corking efforts you can manage would be appreciated.

Regards,
---Robert

P.S.---As to the Daily Bread location, there seems to have been some confusion; the main group had to go back to it on the M-Path.

A former member
Post #: 167
Carolina:

Please don't be discouraged by Omar's experiences. As he points out, he was not physically prepared for the challenge he took upon himself, over and above just participating.

This is not a race or an intense physical training session.

It's intended primarily as recreation.

The problems Omar experienced were not from participating in the ride, but from corking.

As is pointed out on the Miami Bike Scene Blog,"Only experienced cyclists should volunteer to cork."

Corking is far more physically demanding than participating as part of the group. To cork effectively, you must arrive at the intersection at or ahead of the front of the group and remain there until the last rider is through.

Now, you find yourself at the rear and must make up the lost ground before you can cork again.

Again, it is a group ride---we make an effort to keep the group together by accommodating less able and experienced riders.

Look forward to meeting you at our next ride.

---Robert
Omar
omarrh
Miami, FL
Post #: 12
Carolina,

As Robert mentioned, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by my experience during this ride. The problem was not the ride, it was my own actions. As I mentioned in the post, I did not eat or hydrate properly, I pushed myself when I was not ready to do it, and I did not get proper directions when I separated form the group.

I have been in a few rides with this group, including one Critical Mass, and I have always enjoyed them. That's why I keep coming back. In the past I have corked (including the CM ride); but I have been prepared for those rides. Please, join us. You will enjoy it and you'll get too meet a great bunch of people.

Omar
Omar
omarrh
Miami, FL
Post #: 13
Collin,

The corking wasn't the problem, it was the corker (me ;-). I usually enjoy doing it. I just wasn't ready this time around and did not realize my limitations. I'll be back to corking soon enough though.

Robert,

No thanks needed. I enjoy corking and helping the group. like I said above I'll be back to it soon. Thanks for leading the pack.

Omar